Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1 Steering Box Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1 Steering Box Leak

Hey gang,

My D1 with 200k+ miles leaks a bit out of the steering box and has been doing so for a while now. I've been, incorrectly I now realize, running normal PS fluid in it as opposed to Dextron III. I've tried the Lucas stop leak with the PS fluid w/o much improvement... anyone think if I flush the system and start using Dextron III w/some Lucas stop leak that I'll have any chance of slowing the leak down... or should I just continue as is? I'm guess that since the Dextron III is thinner, that it might actually leak more. Opinions?

Many thanks,

Bob

Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do a complete P/S system flush by removing the return line from the resevoir, stick it into a empty washer fluid bottle or the like.
Have a couple of quarts of Dexron III handy.
Have your wife start the truck and you keep the resevoir full until only clear fluid comes out.
Turn the engine off and then repalce the hose, top off.
Then buy a quart of ATF with stop leak and use that to add when low.
Once that is done then degrease the steering box and hoses and check and see where it is actually leaking from, the hose clamps are a very common leak point.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the fast reply! I had already replaced the hose clamps at the resevoir, all lines (one was leaking), and degreased the box trying to locate the leak... the remaining leak is definitely coming from the box. If there's a chance that DexIII will leak less than PS fluid, then great. Otherwise I'm not inclined to flush the system and change fluids only to find it doesn't make a difference or leaks worse.

Do you think there's a chance it'll improve (or am I doing damage to the pump or box running normal PS fluid)? If so, I'll certainly give it a go.

Thanks again,

Bob

Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not positive, but I believe that the DI's have a serviceable steering gear box. Maybe just a few hours of remove, rebuild, replace..

Atlantic Brittish Part STC2847.. $90

Last edited by tailchaser0527; 06-11-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by robertnsmith
Thanks for the fast reply! I had already replaced the hose clamps at the resevoir, all lines (one was leaking), and degreased the box trying to locate the leak... the remaining leak is definitely coming from the box. If there's a chance that DexIII will leak less than PS fluid, then great. Otherwise I'm not inclined to flush the system and change fluids only to find it doesn't make a difference or leaks worse.

Do you think there's a chance it'll improve (or am I doing damage to the pump or box running normal PS fluid)? If so, I'll certainly give it a go.

Thanks again,

Bob
I dont know if the Dexron will leak less or not.
If you dont want to do a flush then just keep adding the correct fluid until you have gone through a quart.
The wrong stuff will fry the pump.
You could just suck out whats in the resivoir, fill it with ATF and then try and fix the leak.
Depending on where the leak is coming from will depend on if it is repairable or not.
Some have had good luck replacing the front shaft seal, others have not.
You might just want to replace the box with a used one.
www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com
You can also check your local salvage yards.