Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Cranks but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 03:42 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Cranks but will not start

Good day ... I need your help as I have read all of the threads that I can find and followed the advice and recommendations given and still can't fix the issue of my 2000 MY D2 cranking but will not start.

Using my OBD 11 Tester, it does not detect any DTC's and the Check Engine light is not illuminated.

What have I checked and or replaced:

Removed a plug lead and checked for spark using a spark tester and also with a new spark plug: No spark checked the CPS by measuring the voltage supply and resistance (as per Disco Mike's post) and they are good. Also removed it and refitted it to another D2 which started to confirm that it is not faulty. Fitted the CPS from the other D2 and still no spark.
Fuel Pump: Checked voltage, ground and pressure. All okay but just to be sure swapped with new Bosch pump that I had on the shelf
Changed over Cam Position Sensor, MAF, Fuel pressure regulator, knock sensors, inertia switch, all fuses and relays.
Checked all grounds that I could find and they were all good
Removed and checked both fuse boxes (engine bay and drivers area) for corrosion/loose terminals - All okay
Checked connectors at ECM and BCM
Central locking and alarm system functions correctly

Hopefully someone can help me as this is driving me and mechanics crazy.

Thank you

Old 05-11-2021, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

You say you changed the inertia switch, but did you press it after you changed it?

Old 05-11-2021, 06:09 PM
6th Gear

mollusc
You say you changed the inertia switch, but did you press it after you changed it?

Yes we did and prior to changing the switch we also put a "jumper" across the pins in the harness. Result from both: No start, no spark

Old 05-11-2021, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

See if the OBD tester reads RPM while cranking. If it doesn't, it's something with the crank sensor/ecu/harness for sure. If you have RPM when cranking, check the ground pulse to one of the coils and power to the coil.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Check fuse #14 in drivers compartment fuse box (coil pack fuse) for continuity and power with key on and relay R4 (ignition relay, right lower). Bought a Dll, $500, wouldn't start, had fuel/cranked strong...but no spark. Checked the coil pack fuse #14, good, went to swap relay and as soon as l touched it...it felt out in my hand. Pushed it back in and she fired right up.

l know you said you pulled fuse boxes looking for short to ground or loose connections...but l didn't read where you checked fuses, fuseable links or relays.

Good luck.

Last edited by The Deputy; 05-12-2021 at 04:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jjcopen (08-27-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 07:25 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Check fuse #14 in drivers compartment fuse box (coil pack fuse) for continuity and power with key on and relay R4 (ignition relay, right lower). Bought a Dll, $500, wouldn't start, had fuel/cranked strong...but no spark. Checked the coil pack fuse #14, good, went to swap relay and as soon as l touched it...it felt out in my hand. Pushed it back in and she fired right up.

l know you said you pulled fuse boxes looking for short to ground or loose connections...but l didn't read where you checked fuses, fuseable links or relays.

Good luck.
Hi Deputy.... Thanks for the tips.

Fuse 14 has continuity and power with key on. Replaced the relay with one from the other D2. Cranks but still no spark.

As part of the elimination process, changed out all of the relays and related fuses in the engine compartment fuse box with those from the other D2. Cranks but still no spark

Old 05-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Winching
Received 128 Likes on 112 Posts

You changed the "cam" position sensor but isn't cranking no start a typical "crankshaft" position sensor failure ?

Old 05-13-2021, 05:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

+1 for CPS failure

Old 05-13-2021, 08:33 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by disco96sd
You changed the "cam" position sensor but isn't cranking no start a typical "crankshaft" position sensor failure ?
Hi Disco96SD .... I removed my CPS and fitted it to the other D2 and it started. I then fitted the CPS from the other D2 to mine....cranks but no spark

Thanks

Old 05-13-2021, 05:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Sounds like you're going to have to dig into the coil pack harness/plugs, check for voltage and pulse signal from ECM.

Quick Reply: D2 Cranks but will not start