Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 - Dragging Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default D2 - Dragging Caliper

2003 Disco 2, it's my wife's daily driver. We take the family out of town for the holiday weekend, and 10 miles into the trip I ask my wife about the grinding/dragging noise and the overall crap in the brakes: "Oh, it's been like that for a while"

She NEVER tells me these things until it's too late.

So here we are, 250 miles from home, and I need a new caliper on the right-rear. Of course, we're in the middle of no-where South Carolina, and there's no chance of getting parts until we get home (already ordered new pads, rotors, and caliper from Rover's North, it'll be there by the time we get back).

But now I'm dreading the road trip back. Since I'm in no position to swap calipers, I'm thinking about spraying the offending area down with PB Blaster (including pad & rotor) to loosen things up. At the very least it'll allow less drag on the wheel while driving?

I know that spraying stuff on the pads is a bad idea in general, but since that wheel isn't really helping us stop..(ie I need low drag vs. braking power on that hub now)...? Please, convince me otherwise.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Boneyards in the area?

No matter what you spray to reduce friction on the back, it may just burn off in 30 miles and you are back where you were. And could be flammable.

Please drive very carefully and slowly. Towing coverage on your insurance?

Perhaps obtain a caliper that brake line will thread into, and leave it hanging (keep fluid from squirting out)? Remove other brake pads. Drive very carefully and slowly, and know that when you get home SWMBO will decide that you have had enough of this toy.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Boneyards in the area?

No matter what you spray to reduce friction on the back, it may just burn off in 30 miles and you are back where you were. And could be flammable.

Please drive very carefully and slowly. Towing coverage on your insurance?
Yes on the tow coverage, as well as Trip Interruption.

I agree about the potential for burn-off.

And the caliper isn't completely frozen yet, just dragging (with dust and heat). But I'm worried about it locking down....

Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

I checked compatibility on Orielly site and it is a just for Land Rover part. Big spray bottle of ice water? Garden sprayer from store? Cool it down every X miles. Seems like you'll eat pads down to rivits, and start chewing up the rotors, but as far a siezed while driving that seems remote. If you can drive home at 45 vs 75 you may have less problem.

What if you took out pad on one side?

Bet SLABS is gonna love this....

Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling

What if you took out pad on one side?
You mean leave the piston-side pad in and allow it rub against the rotor?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Big spray bottle of ice water? Garden sprayer from store? Cool it down every X miles.

Bet SLABS is gonna love this....
Too bad we won't drive home through a rain storm.

Yeah, it tripped the 3-amigoes and a P1590.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're near blacksburg SC let me know. My uncle owns a huge salvage yard with quite a few rovers (so i've heard). might be able to get you a caliper quickly (dont expect any crazy discount though)

Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would suggest you take your wifes Disco away from her for a month or so, treat her like any other kid that is not being responsible for her vehicle.
That being said, you can buy reman. calipers at British Parts of Utah, don't buy them from the local parts store cause they have a pretty high failure rate.
Try a set of Akebono ceramic pads, # EUR493 for the best results and make sure you do a full 2 quart DOT4 brake flush.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Get a pair of small needle nose vice grips (Home Depot has some cheap ones for about $5), clamp off the flex line for that caliper, open the bleed screw, push back the piston some and close the bleed screw. Disable the ABS and TC (maybe).
I can't swear this will work on a DII as I don't know the brake system as well on them but I think ot should.
You'll want to replace the flex line as well as the caliper if you can't grind the teeth off the vice grips.

I've had good luck with the Cardone remans from places like O'Reilly. Check with PT Schramm for failure rate, a while back he was using them on customers' cars.

Last edited by antichrist; 09-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

And if the hose splits because of age, there are most like parts in blister packs in the brake parts aisle that could plug off that hose. Vise grips need to be in the tool kit. A fire extinguisher is good also.

Quick Reply: D2 - Dragging Caliper