Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roof refinish

Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default roof refinish

I like most am having leaking problems with my Disco2 sunroofs. After I get that fixed I am thinking about getting the roof refinished in something like linex truck bed spray. Does anyone know a better option. Rover is white. The roof has a few spots starting to loose the clear coat. Thanks Joe.

Attached Thumbnails roof refinish-rover.jpg  
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Wouldn't a black roof exacerbate the summer Carolina heat when the truck is sitting in the sun?

I too have clear coat problems. I know a guy in Charlotte who owns a small body shop. Once I get some other priorities out of the way I plan to ask him what he would charge to do some minor bodywork and paint the truck if I do a lot of the prep work like removing and replacing the roof rails, sunroofs, door handles, etc.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Dont they do white Rhino Liner?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

This guy rhino lined his fj in white. I would do this to your roof and not black. The only issue i see is color matching. Maybe just do the horizontal top of the roof and not the sides of the top. You cannnot see the very top so it would t matter if the color was off a little.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM
Three Wheeling

I went by linex spray on bed liners and they can match any paint color. They are doing amazing things with there product. looked at a few trucks that they did the whole body and they looked amazing. Cost I'm sure was high but looked worth it. Just some more info I found out. This sunroof leak issue is a real pain. Just showed up all of a sudden after 17 years. My understanding is to have the whole headliner pulled down and then take a hose to the rover and actually see wear it is leaking from. Tricky fix as the sunroof pans are all junk plastic that degrade over time. Will be interesting to see what this will cost to get rectified. Love the disco2 had it since bought knew in 2000. Never had any big trouble with it even with 257k miles on it. Still runs fantastic. Want to keep it in mint shape. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I may just decide to have the whole thing sprayed in linex coating. Joe

Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 AM
Camel Trophy

Yes, the headliner needs to come out not only to confirm the source of the leak but also to make the repair. You've likely seen it's well documented that the square plastic fittings to which the drain lines attach are most often the problem.

Removing the headliner isn't difficult, it's just tedious. Read several of the other threads on the topic. There are several with good tips and tricks documented in the other threads.

I don't know whether or not your headliner is sagging or has already been replaced, but if it's sagging this would be a good opportunity to remove the fabric, foam and adhesive and paint it. I did that years ago. It looks great and will never again sag.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Three Wheeling

That a great idea to have the headliner painted. I never thought of that. I just had it all replaced for 300$. Great info. Thanks for the advice. Im going to have my shop do the roof leak. To much for me. They are independent and pretty much rover guys for 90% of there biz so they are fantastic. Import Clinic Charlotte NC Pete , Chuck, Scotty do amazing work at great rates. Lots of exsperience with this issue. Hopefully not to bad =of a issue with things being broken. Thanks again. Joe

Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Camel Trophy

I forgot about those guys. I stopped in there a few years ago but I've never had them do any work.

I really like the guys at Performance Rovers in Indian Trail but they no longer work on anything 2004 or older except Defenders. They have the high-quality problem of having more business than they can keep up with from owners of newer Rovers. Autoworks Unlimited in Huntersville, owned by Dale Gregory, is very experienced with DIIs and has a great reputation, but I live on the opposite side of town an they're 35 miles away.

I do most things myself but it's good to have a backup in mind. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Three Wheeling

The guys at Performance rover are great. Used them since they opened. Adam , Jason and the crew are a great bunch. Doing a lot of selling with defenders now. My brother actually bought one from them. They saved me more than once a jam. Thanks for the additional info.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a pretty inexpensive alternative. I did it myself with a spray gun and two containers of this stuff.

Here is the before

During the process

And a few when completed

The following users liked this post:
Llamasayswhat (09-19-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: roof refinish