Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights off when headlights on...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights off when headlights on...sometimes

Hey guys, my 2003 Disco 2 has an issue that I'm unable to figure out. Sometimes when I turn my headlights on, my dash lights go off as well as the gear shifter indicator lights. If I turn the headlights on and off the dash lights might come on. Sometimes it works on the first try, sometimes not after like 20 tries. I tried replacing the headlight switch already and it does the same thing. All contacts looked fine in the connectors. My tail lights function as normal but my drivers side one does catch some water every now and then. Do you guys think it could be the dimmer switch?

Old 12-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Drifting

When I play with my dimmer switch my interior lights shut off. Always wondered what this was about. Sorry this is far from helpful but at least you get a bump.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue. I found that for a while, I could turn the lights on, then back the dial up a hair and get the interior lights to come on as well. With my issue, the running lights would not turn on when the interior lights were not on. Mine has gotten worse though, and I’m having some other issues. I’m hoping to resolve some of them with a turn signal / headlight stalk from a forum member (THANK YOU EasyDoesIt), while also resolving my slow turn signal in the cold. Is that the part you replaced?

Old 12-16-2017, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear

Replace the stalk and you will be fine. 5 minute job.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:57 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jdad
Replace the stalk and you will be fine. 5 minute job.
I did this already and the problem persists.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

That is interesting. For about a year, in cold weather, my headlights would experience a delay when turning them on. Then the delay affected the turn signals. Then, the dash and marker lights would turn off unless I dialed the switch back a hair. I removed the switch, took it apart and cleaned the contacts. This work for about two days, did it again and got a week out of it. Purchased a used one from a low mileage Disco and the problem is gone.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:19 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jdad
That is interesting. For about a year, in cold weather, my headlights would experience a delay when turning them on. Then the delay affected the turn signals. Then, the dash and marker lights would turn off unless I dialed the switch back a hair. I removed the switch, took it apart and cleaned the contacts. This work for about two days, did it again and got a week out of it. Purchased a used one from a low mileage Disco and the problem is gone.
Yeah I bought a used one on ebay and the contacts were clean. The ones in my plug are in good condition too. I guess there's the possibility that I bought a faulty stalk but I highly doubt it. It doesn't mess with my tail lights or anything. Like I said my driver tail light has water issues and so does the driver headlight which the low beam recently went out on. I wonder if it could be a ground or something. Maybe the dimmer switch. I hate to throw parts at it but who knows.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibby303
I did this already and the problem persists.
Replace the roller dimmer switch. If it’s messed up/corroded your dash lights will not work properly. You can try cleaning it first, but that should solve the problem.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:22 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Replace the roller dimmer switch. If it’s messed up/corroded your dash lights will not work properly. You can try cleaning it first, but that should solve the problem.
Thanks. I'll take a look at it next.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like I have the same problem here... although headlights, taillights etc all work, however the dash lights, shifter lights are all dead. I think it's a faulty switch in the stalk, however looking at the RAVE manual... it looks like you need to pull the steering wheel - my question is do I have to? Someone here said 5 min job, so sounds like I don't have to.

Appreciate any help.

Quick Reply: Dash lights off when headlights on...sometimes