Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard Curling repair kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Excellent write up earlyover and also some good tips and observations from all. It seems so silly but I've never checked mine and wouldn't know whether it's got the 'bends' Tomorrow I have a look and check it out.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

This is just a brief note to let everyone reading this thread know that my curling dash "fix," as described in detail below, is still in place, and hasn't changed in the slightest.
After two summers of a lot of heat, with sun beating on dash, and two winters of cold, dash remains as if it was never curled at all ever; looks new as can be, level all the way across, no lifting anywhere; since repair, heat/cold has not affected it in the least Once again, the epoxy I used has not yet failed me on this or on the numerous other things I have used that epoxy on------for name and description of this awesome epoxy, along with details about how I did my repair, see my description below. I think my repair was way better than what is suggested in using the so-called "kits," because my repair is done with no screws, no metal straps, nothing ugly or different from the way the dash originally looked when brand new.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Das repair kit costs

I got the quote back from Devon 4x4 in the UK. The Kit itself is $52.50 and the shipping to the US (Fairfield County, CT) is $ 86.18. Not cheap, but now we know there is a kit. Picture from the Devon 4x4 site:
http://www.devon4x4.com/components/c...bfe60955bd.jpg

Old 04-25-2020, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyrover
This is just a brief note to let everyone reading this thread know that my curling dash "fix," as described in detail below, is still in place, and hasn't changed in the slightest.
After two summers of a lot of heat, with sun beating on dash, and two winters of cold, dash remains as if it was never curled at all ever; looks new as can be, level all the way across, no lifting anywhere; since repair, heat/cold has not affected it in the least Once again, the epoxy I used has not yet failed me on this or on the numerous other things I have used that epoxy on------for name and description of this awesome epoxy, along with details about how I did my repair, see my description below. I think my repair was way better than what is suggested in using the so-called "kits," because my repair is done with no screws, no metal straps, nothing ugly or different from the way the dash originally looked when brand new.

Anyone else try/have luck with a glue only repair?

Old 04-26-2020, 04:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I was thinking about this the other day as one of mine is doing it. Was thinking about heating it up pretty hot with a heat gun, then holding it down in place while quenching with water to freeze the molecules in the new position. That method works when forming other plastics, not sure it would work on the dash. If you try it, let us know if it works.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good idea @Extinct . I need to find the right epoxy. Was thinking about smearing the epoxy in a location while it is sitting in the hot florida sun, then putting a 1x2 across the section, then putting a bottle jack on top of it, extending it to the top of the windshield and another board between the jack and the windshield frame. I think I will prototype this without the glue to see if it provides enough pressure to flatten it out. Will post some pics when I get this tested out.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

My thought was more about not using epoxy, just warm the plastic enought to make it soft, then freeze it in position with water.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh wow - i wonder if that would work? I really like the idea of zero glues and screws. I'll give that a shot first.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Add pictures if you go for it mine is pretty "curled", but I do have a hot air gun to warm things up

Old 04-27-2020, 01:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (04-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Dashboard Curling repair kit