Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   A day at the Dunes (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/day-dunes-20252/)

avking 03-01-2009 09:20 PM

A day at the Dunes

2 Attachment(s)
The Hummer was not ready and a couple other H1 owners came to town so I took the Disco to the Pismo Dunes today. Had a good time, but I did not enjoy all the issues the ABS and Traction Control system provided. Had a hard time going down really steep dunes with ABS constantly kicking in and the traction control sounds like a jackhammer running behind the dashboard. But, I was impressed with the speed I could get compared to the lumbering H1. I gotta say that the H1 will go on side slopes and approach and departure angles the Disco can not even dream of.

I enjoyed taking out the Disco, but it will probably be a daily driver more than an offroad rig, unless someone can tell me an easy way to disable the TTS and ABS. It will go more narrow places than the H1, so it will have some use.

Spike555 03-01-2009 09:43 PM

Yes there is a way to turn the TC off, I believe that you need to lock the t-case in low and then turn the engine off, wait 5 sec and then restart the engine and it will be off until you put the t-case back in high.
Somebody will correct me if I am way off, check your owners manual, I think it says how in there.

tomfraser 03-01-2009 09:50 PM

that h1 is beautiful, with all the stuff it makes your land rover next to it look boring ;)

anyone know how a defender would compare to the h1 in the dunes (approach angles etc.)

avking 03-01-2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 105093)
Yes there is a way to turn the TC off, I believe that you need to lock the t-case in low and then turn the engine off, wait 5 sec and then restart the engine and it will be off until you put the t-case back in high.
Somebody will correct me if I am way off, check your owners manual, I think it says how in there.

If that is the only way, it seems almost useless, as running around in low gear is not practical in the dunes.

tomfraser 03-01-2009 10:10 PM

do tc and abs have fuses? can you wire switches?

Camdisco24 03-01-2009 10:11 PM

I give you props for having a REAL hummer.
I can see why your stock disco cant keep up. On the dunes at least.

Spike555 03-01-2009 10:21 PM

Well according to RAVE the Defender has a max gradient of 45*, approach angle of 51*, departure angle of 35* and a wade depth of 20in and a ground clearance of 9in and a break over angle of 146*.

The DI has a max gradient of 45*, approach angle of 39*, departure angle of 29* wade depth of 20in ground clearance of 8.5in and because they have the same chassis and wheel base I would assume the same break over angle as the Defender.

I cannot find this info for the DII in RAVE.

* = degree's

Street Wolf 03-01-2009 10:31 PM

Looks like a ton of fun

Urban Panzer 03-02-2009 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by tomfraser (Post 105095)
that h1 is beautiful, with all the stuff it makes your land rover next to it look boring ;)

anyone know how a defender would compare to the h1 in the dunes (approach angles etc.)

But its still a hummer....................................still rather the Disco anyday.

Having a CDL in the sand is a LOT more beneficial than just the TC.

okdiscoguy 03-02-2009 07:41 AM

You don't have to be in low, just locked. That will turn off the t/c. If you put lockers in your diffs, the t/c will help them lock (unless they areair lockers).