Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding on an '04

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on an '04

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks I've been looking into getting a Discovery and learning a lot about them thanks to this forum. I've narrowed my search down to a 2004 since that seems to be the best year for the Series II (CDL and no engine blow up problems).

I found an '04 in my area with only 44k miles on it. I've talked with the dealer through email and am going to check it out in person tomorrow. Before I do, I figured I would post here to see what others thought of the condition and price of the car. The car is posted here: Selden Motors - 2004 Land Rover Discovery S - Stock# 836286

From the pictures, the car looks to be in good condition and the low mileage certainly stood out from the usual listings of 100k+. What I'm a little nervous about is that the car has been for sale for weeks and is still there. Also, the carfax lists 5 owners (but I think the last one might be the current dealer? I don't know) and the dealership has mixed reviews online.

Does there look to be any red flags with this car? Is the price right for the north east region?

Also, I know to check for drive shaft chirping to tell if the u-joints need to be replaced, but is there anything else I should look/listen for on a test drive?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow...that's a super nice truck.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good, but price is kinda steep. I just bought an 04 with 130k miles with a freshly rebuilt engine (04 gets slipped liners) for 5k. Granted it doesn't look as mint as that one, but still good condition. Basically check everything, windows, sunroofs, hvac. Engine wise just listen for any type of ticking, knocking. Slipped liners will knock when warm. Mine has a small knock under load, that I believe is a cracked flex plate. Make sure the CDL works and the high, low gears. I doubt the u-joints will be serviceable, so plan for that. Other than that, there isn't much else. You could check the codes, but I'd bet if there were any the dealer would clear them. If nothing else, have it inspected by an independant shop. Good luck and try to get that price down if you get it.

Last edited by MC04DII; 11-12-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah I think it's 44k miles vs. 130k miles...

Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Rock Crawling

True, but with that low of miles and 5 owners, it could be a possible lemon. Getting one with 130k and a rebuilt engine (the nemesis of these) gave me some peace of mind. On second thought OP, I would want every service record along with that, just to know why it's been tossed around so much.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Holy Jesus I would not buy that, 5 owners at 44k??? That's almost 9k miles before each owner sold it, I would NOT buy that truck EVER!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to deal a little, get the price a little more in line, verify if it has had the factory 30K, if not you are looking at a major service once you buy it along with a front drive shaft. Otherwise, appears to be a really clean truck.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Looks good, but price is kinda steep. I just bought an 04 with 130k miles with a freshly rebuilt engine (04 gets slipped liners) for 5k. Granted it doesn't look as mint as that one, but still good condition. Basically check everything, windows, sunroofs, hvac. Engine wise just listen for any type of ticking, knocking. Slipped liners will knock when warm. Mine has a small knock under load, that I believe is a cracked flex plate. Make sure the CDL works and the high, low gears. I doubt the u-joints will be serviceable, so plan for that. Other than that, there isn't much else. You could check the codes, but I'd bet if there were any the dealer would clear them. If nothing else, have it inspected by an independant shop. Good luck and try to get that price down if you get it.
Thanks. Good idea about checking codes. If they cleared them, at least I would see they did and then walk away.

I think I read the ODBII port is under the steering wheel. Do I need any tools to pull the cover to get to it?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling

If they cleared them, they won't show up until they arise again. How long that would take depends on the type of problem. Do a hard braking from around 35mph too. The 3 amigos may greet you then as well. Not a huge deal, but could be a price dropper.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Wouldn't hurt to deal a little, get the price a little more in line, verify if it has had the factory 30K, if not you are looking at a major service once you buy it along with a front drive shaft. Otherwise, appears to be a really clean truck.
Is 30k that major on these? I just thought it was a few hundred in parts and a few hours outside. Or, do you mean since its gone an extra 15k miles without it, there could be bigger problems that will need to be fixed?

Quick Reply: Deciding on an '04