Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Decision...

Hey guys!
I'm back with another question. Like I said, this October I will turn 17. I operate a small neighborhood lawn care business which enables me to make more $ that working at McDonald's. Earlier I found a 2001 Land Rover Disco that I asked the forum's opinion on whether to purchase it or not. You all said NO for several legit reasons. I well aware of the normal problems these vehicles have( Engine, tranny, gaskets, oil leaks, etc.). I gentleman from my church is selling his 2003 Land Rover Discovery II. It just reached 100,000 miles. He say's he'll sell it to me for $3000.00. Ideally, I would like a Ford Ranger, Land Cruiser, or Izuzu Trooper. IS THIS WORTH IT? How does this make compare to the 2001 Disco? I'm using this forum because you all are experts and have experience Thanks for your help!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Median price for the truck. You'll be looking at a $400 ish front drive shaft or $100 rebuild of one there, it won't have grease nipples on some of the U joints and when it fails it takes out the tranny. You could haul stuff with a trailer. Parking that can be a problem.

Rovers cost plenty to repair, not so many parts in the junkyard. Ranger is cheaper to find parts for, and you may not need a trailer.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first suv I ever owned was a 1989 izuzu Trooper. I know to some of you that makes me sound old lol. I bought it for $1500 and I beat the shmidt out that truck, took halfway cross country 3 times completely abused the 4x4. I was amazed cause at that point I didn't have to get out and lock the hubs just put in reverse and backed up about 15 ft. And I was ready to climb. My friends called it a fish tank on wheels for all the windows. The point is I put that truck through hell and the only problem I had was a blown heater core and I just blocked it off. Afterowning it for five years I sold it for $1250. That's a hell of a return. Savannah is right about backing up with a trailer and the smaller the trailer the harder to back up. I would go for a pick up and throw a rack in the back of it for weed eaters etc... not really as cool as the guys who are sporting 12 ft trailers with multiple zero turn mowers but....you will kill em on gas.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

When I was your age, I would have bought the 2003 Rover for $3000. Personally, I think that's a fair price. Is it the S, SE, or SE7? Also, not knowing what the Previous Owner has done to it affects its price. If he's already done the Head Gaskets, Thermostat and Drivelines, you are half way there and will save money in the end. At 12 years old, I bought my first Volkswagen, and I've been buying/selling cars ever since. I've owned around 100 now, and I don't plan to stop any time soon. I really gravitate towards the unique (like the Land Rover), and I LOVE the unique. But, they can be expensive.

On the other hand, I'm now 46 years old, turning 47 next Saturday, OUCH! And the 47 year old in me says don't do it! The gas alone is a large deterant. It's around $100 to fill the tank (at $4 gallon in California), and it lasts 2/3 the time a Ranger Fillup will last you. I get 13.6 MPG NOT towning a trailer.

Then, there's the parts. Yes, they are more expensive, and yes, you will go through more of them. With as little as I drive, and where I am in my life now, (3 car family), I don't worry about it as much. But if it were my only car, it would keep me up at night.

That said, you seem to have the bug, and only you will know what to do to make you sleep at night. The alure and fun driving might be enough to keep you sleeping soundly and with happy dreams. Just be sure the costs will not hurt you in the long run. It will definately cut into your dating money a bit. On the other hand, there is that nice comfy back seat and tinted windows!

One other helpful hint. My father owned Three different Ford Rangers. A 1999 that had 200k when sold, a 2000 that he drove till 330k miles without ANY engine or transmission work (finally broke the timing chain, but sold on Craigslist for $800 as a project), and his last one a 2003 that had 150k when he sold it and it ran like new still. He's 90 now, so stopped driving.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I too would look for something else. Since you need to haul lawn equipment, what about a Nissan or Toyota pick-up instead?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I did find out that it is the SE and is void of the bad oil pump VIN range. I will probably go with a Dodge Ram 1500 V6. How does that sound? I appreciate all of ya'lls feedback!!!! I buy a Disco someday. I'll be back in a few years! Thanks again!