Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Diff will not lock (Not stuck lever) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/diff-will-not-lock-not-stuck-lever-17729/)

tomfraser 12-05-2008 08:12 PM

Diff will not lock (Not stuck lever)

1995 Disco Series 1 Automatic

I did some work today... and took out my stuck lever for 4WD/DIFF LOCK. I know have direct access to the 13mm bolt/nut on top of the transfer case. I find that there are 3 distinct positions that the bolt/nut will lock in. After trying all three the light on my dash will not go on, and jacking up one front wheel and spinning it still works in all three positions (shouldn't move at all)

Any ideas?

I also am trying to get the solenoid out of my transfer box that keeps me from engaging 4WD while not in neutral (it has failed) and after removing the 4 bolts holding it in it is still incredibly stuck... I have sprayed it down with all I know of and there is no room to get any sort of leverage, anyone who has done this before have any helpful hints?

Thanks for the responses ahead of time ;)

ALSO: does the car drive noticeably different when differentials are locked? Should I hear/feel the locking actually happen?

How does the car know the diff is locked (is there a sensor in the transfer box, or is it somewhere else?

Thanks

Spike555 12-05-2008 09:22 PM

RE: Diff won't lock (Not stuck lever)

Yes the car will drive different when the CDL id locked, it will turn about as tight as a frieght train.
If you try and turn a tight circle on dry pavement the front wheels will "skip" and sqeal really bad.

It is a 10mm nut ontop of the t-case to engage/dis-engage the CDL, so are you sure you have the right nut?

The only way the car knows that the CDL is locked is by a electric switch that lights the light on the dash, otherwise the truck does not care.
The transfer case is 100% mechanical, gears meshing toghether, when you lock the CDL or shift from Hi to Lo you use are using the lever to switch to a different set of gears.

Urban Panzer 12-06-2008 12:57 AM

Its is quite normal for the difflock NOT to engage as soon as you use it, as well as the light not coming on, either with a spanner or the lever, If you can spin 1 wheel either front or back, then the CDL is NOT engaged.

Have you tried selecting the CDL and then drivig down the road, Im quite sure your light will appear then. The CDL's like to be used, and the more you useit (offroad) the more it will light the dash and engage straight away as youselect it.

Disco2Guy 12-06-2008 02:26 AM

I was really upset after installing the '04 linkage, throwing the shifter to the left, and not seeing a light. But once the truck roller forward a few feet the light came on. There is also a diff lock warning light sensor further back from the CDL nipple that illuminates the diff lock light on the dash. Mine was disconnected because the PO claimed the light would randomly light up, even though there was no linkage to the CDL at that time. There shouldn't be 3 positions to the CDL nipple. It should only rotate about 45* for lock/unlock.

Urban Panzer 12-06-2008 03:09 AM

When he says 3 positions, he probably means, the central difflock out, anti clock 30* and clockwise 30* for difflock in.

tomfraser 12-06-2008 06:21 AM

I have driven it foward (front and reverse), and am positive it is the right thing I am turning, as the diff lock linkage went right to it

My diff lock lever was so stuck that it was no good any more (nothing, even a torch would work after it's removal) so the diff lock was probably NEVER used by previous owners

Thanks for all the replies and anyone that has any other ideas please let me know

tomfraser 12-06-2008 06:48 AM

RE: Diff won'

Also... if a transfer box isn't working would it be expected for it to "not work" by not engaging diff lock, or would I hear some issues / feel clunking etc. ?

That would depress me big time because I can do anything to a car, as long as it costs nothing (being 17 I have no $$ ;) )

tomfraser 12-06-2008 08:05 AM

RE: Diff won'

Here is a video of my 3 positions so people can confirm that I am turning the right thing, and so that people may correct me if I am doing something wrong

all 3 positions will not lock the differentials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvj4VHmtHvg

Urban Panzer 12-06-2008 11:24 AM

RE: Diff won

As it is at 27 secs in your video, that is CDL engaged 100%

In this position, drive the truck ATLEAST 200 yds down the road, try backwards and forwards AND shift from high to low as well

tomfraser 12-06-2008 12:22 PM

RE: Diff won

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

As it is at 27 secs in your video, that is CDL engaged 100%

In this position, drive the truck ATLEAST 200 yds down the road, try backwards and forwards AND shift from high to low as well
just went out and tried that... about half a mile foward, half a mile backwards

I also notice that when I shift from drive to reverse the front drive shaft turns about half a turn with the brakes on (wheels not moving) then stops, should there be any play at all?