Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII COOLANT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DII COOLANT?

Nite,

Naw - I done toll 759udqowiwweh8upop the "cut in" is a gizmo ( actually its a - T - ). To install it you "cut" a heater hose and using hose clamps install it there - it is a threaded - T - you can connect a garden hose to = turn on truck (running) turn on garden hose and flush your engine with radiator cap removed (it comes with directions). It has a cap that you put on when done to cap off the - T - (it stays with the vehicle forever), then drain and fill with appropriate fluid

I've only seen one offered by Prestone - and they usually have three - T's - for different size hoses all in one pack

Pop quiz, using a Sharpie circle the correct response

How many times did I say - T -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 if none of these responses apply using a ruler (and the Sharpie) draw an X across your screen

Robert

Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhh ok. yeah those sound like they would be useful...I'll have to pick one up for my next flush. thanks.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is the real scoop on Dex-Cool, it is a OAT coolant, Organic Acid Technology.
It becomes corrosive when NOT properly maintained.
The reason they use Dex-Cool is because it is enviromentaly friendly. You have heard of the gas guzzler tax? Well as a manufature you can reduce the amount of penalty (tax)that you pay for building non EPA friendly cars is to use enviromentaly friendly products in your products.
R-134 is a CFC free refidgerant, CFC's are bad for the ozone.
DexCool is enviromentaly friendly also.
You get in a accident what happens? You "pop" your A/C condensor and the radiator, where does the R-134 go? Into the air. Where does the coolant go? Into the ditch, down the stream, river, lake...

As long as the coolant is aluminum safe you can use it in a aluminum cooling system. End of story. Aluminum is aluminum is aluminum.
Read your owners manual, Land Rover says right in the manual for all DII's to change the engine coolant every 45,000 miles or 36 months, whichever is sooner.
DexCool is a 5 year 150,000 mile coolant, do you think that LR knew something?
I use Peak Global Liftetime coolant in my DI.
In DI's LR recommends changing the coolant every 30,000 miles, they came with standard green coolant.
You CAN use whatever you want as long as it is aluminum safe, that is the key, aluminum safe.
And yes, you can mix a universal coolant with DexCool, but it still must be a OAT coolant.
I change my coolant every 2 years no matter the miles. It is cheap insurance. And I like cheap.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the practice of flushing the cooling system every two years as cheap insurance, as well. I just got the bug when someone else on here raised the question. I like to try and stay on top of everything I can. Thanks for the info guys.