Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII driving me mental please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 12:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII driving me mental please help!

Hello all someone help here’s everything;

here is everything according to my disco 2, (the 3 amigos are on.) my 2001 discovery 2 is just a handful so back in 2020 the front driveshaft broke I had got a used one in 2022 and when got it in all it did was knock so I took it back off. about 3 month ago my fiancé and I finally got the title from her sister in law so I can get it on the road. So first thing I did was actually find the cdl nipple to force it into rear wheel drive. It drove just fine I drove it a couple miles and so did my fiancé. So then I insured it and registered it and went to take it to work. I noticed the battery light was on but the battery was just about new. So I charged the battery all night and figured I would get a jump start at work when I’m out. I went to leave for work and I rolled down onto the street and all of a sudden I had no forward gears. Only reverse. Just the Manuel and sport lights and d light blinking on dash and console I get it to a spot where it’s flat. I go to the forums ask what to do and everything. I replaced the alternator. I emptied the atf fluid and refilled it- per video from Atlantic British I think I also emptied and refilled the transfer case. I went back to the forums someone had said to replace the xyz switch and check the battery voltage. I replaced the xyz switch and bought a multimeter and tested the battery it’s running at 14.24 volts. I had someone come down with a code reader so I can get those and the three codes I got are P0705 (transmission range sensor a circuit park/reverse/neutral/drive/low input… confirmed) also got p1884 (no dtc definition found. See service manual… confirmed) and P1590 (no dtc definition found. See service manual… pending)
The lights don’t flash as soon as I start the car but after I rev the engine to a certain point when in a forward gear. And as soon as I turn the car off I can turn it back on and the lights don’t flash. I will say when it’s in gear and I hit the gas I can hear a sound that sounds like a fluid swooshing around. I’m just stumped because I can’t get a reading in the code from the m and s lights flashing cause when I shut the car off it turns the lights off

Old 01-07-2024, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently learned that when a bunch of things go out at once, you may have a blown fuse under the hood. Have you checked them all?

Old 01-07-2024, 05:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

You can read the codes with the engine running, P1590 is the three amigos codes, the other two are transmission codes and one is definitely and XYZ switch not reading correctly. Not sure of the other because there are lots of variables. You need a scanner that can read actual transmission codes. Where are you located? Suggest you might want to take to a local LR specialty shop. Do not take it to a regular shop, only LR specialty. If you find one with a testbook scanner they likely will be able to read the codes for the transmission

Old 01-10-2024, 10:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

This may sound dumb, but all this happened to me before and the battery terminals were loose.

they need to be tight. ALL THE WAY. Like they won’t move when you try to move them

The following users liked this post:
Roont (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 02:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by COSitsWORTHit
This may sound dumb, but all this happened to me before and the battery terminals were loose.

they need to be tight. ALL THE WAY. Like they won’t move when you try to move them
Definitely try this first.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ONeil64
flash. I will say when it’s in gear and I hit the gas I can hear a sound that sounds like a fluid swooshing around. I’m just stumped because I can’t get a reading in the code from the m and s lights flashing cause when I shut the car off it turns the lights off
Just learned about the waterfall sound myself, and I'm wondering if you have the same. Mine was air intruding into the thermostat housing. I sealed it properly and vacuum filled and sound is now gone. I wonder if you might have air in your coolant system? Sometimes tops of radiators have pinhole leaks, so you don't see a leak, but it sucks air in, usually along the seams. Sometimes you can see crusted coolant which will give away a leak.

I fully agree about eliminating your batter cable connections first. I made my own positive cable to the starter and my own main ground. Mine were too far gone to just do new cable ends.

Then drive it very locally as you go and chip away at the driveability issues. That way if you break down you can tow yourself home hahaha. That what I do at least. I flip cars and most of the ones I buy have been sitting for a long time.

This forum has gotten mine from a truck ready for a junk yard to my daily driver, mostly from just reading. There's a ton of information and also some very knowledgeable members. You'll get it.
​​​

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (01-12-2024)