Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Radio Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry DII Radio Removal

Anybody have any tips on removing the stock radio? I was told that using the some file folder hangers (see picture). I gave it a shot and couldn't get it to budge. Any other ideas?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the right tools. Did you feel them click into place? Should be very difficult to remove the tools from the slot once they're seated without removing the radio.

With the tools in place, stick your fingers in the tape slot to get as much grip as you can and just pull hard.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:33 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by csbd
You have the right tools. Did you feel them click into place? Should be very difficult to remove the tools from the slot once they're seated without removing the radio.

With the tools in place, stick your fingers in the tape slot to get as much grip as you can and just pull hard.
Appreciate the quick answer, I think I've had enough for tonight, but I'll give it another shot tomorrow after work.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Not sure about the D2, but on the D1 there are two antenna connections to the rear glass. May even be some sort of electronic amplifiers back there for the antenna. One side is FM only, the other is FM/AM. My previous owner installed an updated Sony, selected the wrong antenna, and now I can't get AM stations. So test before you button everything up.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atlantic British sells a plastic tool that is specially made to remove the stock Harmon Kardon radios that come with our trucks.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you have an audio place in town they will probably release the radio for free for you.
I stopped told them the radio had to be removed to replace the heater control, they released it and i threw the guy $20 for beer. It was out in 5 minutes.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you have an audio place in town they will probably release the radio for free for you.
I stopped told them the radio had to be removed to replace the heater control, they released it and i threw the guy $20 for beer. It was out in 5 minutes.
Thanks for the input guys...

Don't want to buy anything, plus I just ordered a bunch from AB, so I'm not going to re-pay for shipping

..... ^^THAT^^ is what I shoulda done in the first place! Too late now. The wife is out of town (Disco is her daily driver) so I've got the battery unhooked, the grille out, etc, etc, so I can install my CB and wire up my Hella's, so I'd rather not put it all back together just to pull it all apart again

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scrape the paint off the ends. It might not be going all the way and engaging because of the increased thickness. I just did this last week on mine with a file folder hanger.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by souljad9
Scrape the paint off the ends. It might not be going all the way and engaging because of the increased thickness. I just did this last week on mine with a file folder hanger.
Good point, I Do they go pretty far in? It felt like I was pushing them in about as deep as they could go and still couldn't get it to budge. I had assumed this would be a quick snap job to get it out...

Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 AM
TReK

HOLY EFF! What a PITA. I had the right idea, just wasn't getting the "tools" in straight enough. After wrestling with it for what seemed like forever, I finally found the touch to pop the brackets out of the way.

While I was in there, I popped out the HVAC controls, almost as much of a PITA as the radio. I'm going to replace the bulbs for the control switches, and install my CB radio directly above the stock radio. Hopefully in such a way that I can easily remove the radio and mount and make it look completely stock.

Thanks for the help as always gents!

Quick Reply: DII Radio Removal