Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII stalling and cranking with no start CPS problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:21 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII stalling and cranking with no start CPS problems

Hello I drive a 2000 D2 with around 180,000 miles, I started having problems with my truck stalling at traffic lights while idling, i would try to turn it back over while it was sitting but no luck (tac would not spike stayed completely still) I would have to get out and spray a bit of starting fluid for it to want to crank up again. So after a few times of this happening I did some research and found all these forums about the crankshaft position sensor, so I replaced mine with some “OEM” one that was $50. It worked great for about a month of being daily driven then it stopped again. This time I decided to get a recovery home, this time I wanted to try the crank sensor again because I felt my cheap one went bad already. So I installed a BOSCH one from Atlantic British for $75 or something, it worked fine for 3 days now. The same problem is occurring, I am borrowing a different car for now but any help to get my baby back on the road would help thank you!

Old 04-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Wow weird. My only advise is check the wiring carefully if it’s shorting somewhere it may be causing damage to the sensor

Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

IDK, if spraying a bit of starting fluid allows you to get going again, that makes me think it is fuel related and not the CPS. Normally I think they simply fail, or sometimes fail and then come back after they cool down a bit.

I would swap the fuel pump relay with another one to rule that out, maybe with the SLS or washer fluid. If that checks out, maybe the fuel pump itself? When it dies, does it stumble a bit or just shut down like you turned off the ignition?

Old 04-23-2019, 07:46 AM
7th Gear

It would die as if it stalled, the oil and battery light come on, I’ve been swapping the relays around but I might just buy a new relay for the fuel pump, this truck was maintained by the previous owner who was a Land Rover tech at a dealer and all the wiring and body it’s vey clean but I’ll check the wiring for sure, can the inertia switch go bad or something? Thanks

Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

press the down on the inertia switch to reset it. You'll hear a click.
BTW... are you getting any fault codes? post them here.
Also... what is your sitting battery voltage and charging voltage?

Last edited by JUKE179r; 04-23-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 PM
7th Gear
Default Yes

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
press the down on the inertia switch to reset it. You'll hear a click.
BTW... are you getting any fault codes? post them here.
Also... what is your sitting battery voltage and charging voltage?
I have pressed down the switch everytime it stalls to see if it’s the culprit and it’s clicked in all the way, I got a P1884, p0112 and p0102 the next morning after trying to start it and giving up and getting it recovered, I’m guessing these where all related to me unplugging my MAF and removing the airbox from the throttle body when attempting to start, I’ve cleared those and they haven’t came back, I only have a P0447 code on at all times something to do with a purge valve solenoid that I’ve already replaced. I will test my battery once I find my multimeter, the alternator was replaced last year so I don’t think it should have charging issues but I will be sure to double check, I’m running controlled tests to see when/why it stalls, I came out this morning and started it and let it warm up, had no issues. When I’m back from work I’m going to try it again, it feels like the disco is trying to mess with my head purposely! Thanks

Last edited by Nolan Cerkez; 04-23-2019 at 12:05 PM.