Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Disco 1 radio wiring diagram cluster eff (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/disco-1-radio-wiring-diagram-cluster-eff-17502/)

mellyagaunce 11-27-2008 02:06 PM

Disco 1 radio wiring diagram cluster eff

Hey all. I'm back from the dead. I had posted a lot a month or so ago about a knocking noise. Well it's fixed now. Oddly enough, after a new set of lifters and a good bottle of lucas oil treatment the knocking as gone completely away.

Now, I have a new issue. My disco had an aftermarket radio in it when I got it. The radio doesn't work, so I got a new one. The power wires all work fine, radio turns on, no problem. The issue is that I'm testing speaker wires using the old school AA battery test, and none of the speakers pop. On the right hand side of the radio opening hole,there is aweird wiring set up. Two smaller bundles get plugged into one larger black box which has the "obvious" speaker wires in it, but none of them seem to do anything. On the left hand side of the radio opening hole there is one more set of wires plugging into a rca cables. They don't do anything either.

I have no idea what the heck was done on this beast, but none of it makes sense.

I do have a question. Do Disco 1's have a factory amp? That may be my problem. Anyway, thanks for the help.

AK Rover 11-28-2008 01:04 PM

RE: Disco 1 radio wiring diagram cluster eff

Yes, D1s use a separate amp. You'll have to either bypass the amp built into the radio you are putting in and use the factory amp or amps if you have the subwoofer in the rear door. The other option is to remove the factory amp from the system and run new wires directly from the radio to the speakers. The factory system does not provide much volume so using the amp in your radio probably isn't a bad idea. As for how the previous radio installer wired the radio, your guess is as good as mine.

Spike555 11-28-2008 05:20 PM

When my factory amp died I went to Best Buy and bought a new stereo, they by-passed the factory amp and it has been all good ever since.

I think that RCA cables are for the CD changer. I could be wrong though.

mellyagaunce 12-05-2008 08:03 PM

So, apparently the only thing I did wrong was plug one power wire up incorrectly. I took it to best buy and they fixed the issue. But now I have this amazing (said sarcastically) alternator whine. :-) Looks like I'll need a new amp. Oh, and I do have the factory sub, too bad the ring around the speakers is GONE. I love the buzz sound for bass notes. Awesome. Anyone ever remove those speakers from the box and install new ones? Is that possible? Or did you just get a new box?