Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 that spent a lot of time sitting / in storage, now misfiring - Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 07:35 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the plugs

The following users liked this post:
pwdiamond80 (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 11:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Running better than ever…

Thanks for all of the input. Hopefully this thread will assist someone else in sorting out a similar situation.

So I installed new coils and injectors.

I then ended up with a cylinder 8 misfire. I swapped plugs on 6,and 8. I then ended up with a “random misfire” code.

So today I replaced all the plugs once they came in. Fired it up, and now it’s running better than it ever has as long as I’ve owned it.

So even though the plugs had less than 15,000 miles on them, they were a large portion of the issue.

I think that the long periods of storage without getting it up to high enough heat for any extended periods left a few plugs oil fouled.

So she’s back on the road just in time for snow… and just as I was starting to eye an LR4 😬.

Thanks again, all.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (11-10-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 10:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slurp088
if you do replace the coil packs make sure to do the relocation kit so that they're away from all that heat at the back of the engine and easier to work on if it ever goes wrong again.
I wasn't aware of this mod, or I'd have done it. This is the third time having the intake off, and the biggest part of the job has been working with the damned coil pack and its infernal bolts. I will definitely do this the next time I have to tear apart the top end. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 227 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by pwdiamond80
Thanks for all of the input. Hopefully this thread will assist someone else in sorting out a similar situation.

So I installed new coils and injectors.

I then ended up with a cylinder 8 misfire. I swapped plugs on 6,and 8. I then ended up with a “random misfire” code.

So today I replaced all the plugs once they came in. Fired it up, and now it’s running better than it ever has as long as I’ve owned it.

So even though the plugs had less than 15,000 miles on them, they were a large portion of the issue.

I think that the long periods of storage without getting it up to high enough heat for any extended periods left a few plugs oil fouled.

So she’s back on the road just in time for snow… and just as I was starting to eye an LR4 😬.

Thanks again, all.
I bought cheap plugs on Ebay for my Honda. The plugs were counterfeit NGKs and only lasted 5000 miles. Lesson learned, pay attention to sources. Hope you have fun in the snow.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:58 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to change the plugs in my Lexus 4.0l v8 every 2-3 years or it starts running like crap. The engine is in a boat and it sits for 6 months at a time quite often.