Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco on EBAY what you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco on EBAY what you guys think?

I spotted this baby today and i spoke to the seller already.... I like the looks. The mileage is high for it not being owned by a fellow enthusiast and the over heating is almost definitely the head gasket which has not been changed. He told me what the reserve was set at and it seems that I could grab her for under $4k. I wonder what you all might think on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not the type of vehicle to buy without seeing/driving it in person! If you can get over there to check it out, cool.
Also, if you are not local how would you get it home without doing the work?
Otherwise, it is a one owner which is a plus especially if they have all the records. And yes, likely the head gasket but who knows how many times he brought the temp up too high to really screw things!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Mudding

the seller owns a shipping company... $500 gets it to me. I am about 5 hours away so i would def go see it first. with that mileage i debate getting a new engine....

Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

to quote our friends from Monty Python, Run Away,Run Away!

Too much for a super high mileage truck. Thats my two cents. Phil

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Overlanding

You could hire an escrow service to inspect it for you as well. $500 for a 5 hour drive is pretty high up there, i paid about 300 to have a vehicle shipped about the same distance.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

"it seems to be overheating"

if that is not a red flag for "i don't know what i'm talking about or im just trying to screw the buyer" than what is?

skip it man.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aublec22
the seller owns a shipping company... $500 gets it to me. I am about 5 hours away so i would def go see it first. with that mileage i debate getting a new engine....
If the plan is a new engine and you could get it for $2K maybe. Otherwise many other fish in the sea. Just wait... those fuel prices are creeping up. Won't take long for current owners (non enthusiast types) to realize buying premium at $4 for a 12MPG truck just is not worth it!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
If the plan is a new engine and you could get it for $2K maybe. Otherwise many other fish in the sea. Just wait... those fuel prices are creeping up. Won't take long for current owners (non enthusiast types) to realize buying premium at $4 for a 12MPG truck just is not worth it!
x2
The only way you should consider this is if you get it for $2k or less and just assume you'll have to replace the engine. Since the bid is at $2k and the reserve hasn't been met, it will end up costing a lot more than this particular truck is worth.

You can definitely get one of these trucks with similar mileage, in similar condition, with maintenance records, and a engine that doesn't need the head gaskets replaced for a lot less than this particular truck is going to end up costing someone...

Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Mudding

I admit that i was thinking i wouldn't want to pay more than 2 for it. And yes the guy sounds like he doesn't really know...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Agree $2k is about the limit on this one. I picked up an 01 with 103k miles with a blown head gasket for $3850, but it had an OME suspension lift, ARB front bumbper, G4 tail light gaurds, safari basket, newer Bridgestone 265/75/16 Revo tires, and a ladder etc... Without all the goodies it would not have been worth near as much. I'm guessing I've got over $1500 in it going through and fixing everything that was wrong with it, but now I've got a pretty cool rig for less than $6k. If you can do the work yourself it might not be to bad of a deal at 2k. It is running in the pic, so you at least know it does run, but you never know what you will find!

Quick Reply: Disco on EBAY what you guys think?