Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Disco II knock.. changed everything, now what? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/disco-ii-knock-changed-everything-now-what-62912/)

redmanxi 11-02-2013 08:31 PM

Disco II knock.. changed everything, now what?

So I have a disco ii I got off a family friend who put a "new" engine in. There is a knock, cylinder 7 is misfiring, blow by when warmed up and so we've:

Mobile 1 10-40
Tested knock sensors,
injectors (swapped with 7)
New plugs, wires, coil,
gutted cats,
Compression tested all cylinders are 185ish,
New intake gaskets,
New Lifters,
Rocker arms/push rods look good.

Am I missing any thing?? After all this the engine sounds better but the knock is still there.

Thanks in advance!

dusty1 11-02-2013 08:38 PM

Hope not, but warmed knock could be slipped liner

redmanxi 11-02-2013 08:45 PM

It is something we've considered but not touched yet.

gbob 11-03-2013 06:41 AM

Did you change t-stat to 180?

TRIARII 11-03-2013 08:53 AM

Lets hope you still have the documents for the new engine replacement cause it should have a warranty on it. Though I wonder, how sure are you a NEW engine was put in? is it possible a used engine was put in? That certainly would explain the knock better.

Disco Mike 11-03-2013 09:48 AM

I would start with a leak down test. By the way, you can not replace the lifters without replacing the cam. Your new lifters hardened surface will cut the cam or the warn lobes will tear up the lifter hardened surface.

redmanxi 11-03-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by TRIARII (Post 429136)
Lets hope you still have the documents for the new engine replacement cause it should have a warranty on it. Though I wonder, how sure are you a NEW engine was put in? is it possible a used engine was put in? That certainly would explain the knock better.

Well it was "newer" probably 8000 miles out of it. It was a friend of a friend deal and after opening it up we have realized that quality wasn't something they were worried about.

redmanxi 11-03-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 429150)
I would start with a leak down test. By the way, you can not replace the lifters without replacing the cam. Your new lifters hardened surface will cut the cam or the warn lobes will tear up the lifter hardened surface.

Right now I don't have any way to do a lead down test.

Spike555 11-03-2013 06:32 PM

You dont need to do anything other than buy a different thermostat, the colder one.
Call Trevor at Land Rover Parts and Accessories from RovahFarm and tell him you need the "colder" t-stat.
Install, problem solved.
Cost is under $50 and takes 15min.
You have a cylinder liner that is moving once warmed up, no test can find it, it is what it is, the only true fix is a new engine.
The different t-stat will keep the engine cooler so the liner wont move.

redmanxi 11-03-2013 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 429202)
You dont need to do anything other than buy a different thermostat, the colder one.
Call Trevor at Land Rover Parts and Accessories from RovahFarm and tell him you need the "colder" t-stat.
Install, problem solved.
Cost is under $50 and takes 15min.
You have a cylinder liner that is moving once warmed up, no test can find it, it is what it is, the only true fix is a new engine.
The different t-stat will keep the engine cooler so the liner wont move.

So the sleeve is tapping up and down?