Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II Radio

So my old radio didn't work sound only came out of the rear subs so i bought a new amp off e-bay and threw it in. Still nothing. So i assumed it was the head unit and bought a new head unit with RCA hook ups along with the suggested wiring harness. Still nothing. Do I need to do an amp bypass and if so how do i go about that?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can bypass the amp. You will need to run speaker wire from your new deck to under the driver's seat where the factory amp is. Then you will need to splice the new speaker you just ran into the corresponding speaker wire. I would highly suggest only cutting the wires you need and not cutting off the entire harness. This will make it much easier to go back if you have to. You will not need to cut any harness behind the deck in the dash...

Here is the wiring diagram.

http://macassemble.com/lrm/discovery...20Diagrams.pdf

Go down to pg 124. This is where the audio diagram begins. On pg 126 it will show you which wire colors need to be spliced into the new speaker wire you just ran. Also the tweeters in the front in the A post of the truck do not run through the amp. I believe you can just connect those straight to your deck. Better double check the diagram though just to make sure.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PS I recently did this on my Disco and you will lose the speakers which are mids. You will only get sound out of the four door speakers which are the 'low range' speakers, and the a post tweeters. you will not get sound from the four mid speakers which are in the four doors and you will not get any sound from the rear door subwoofers. From what I understand is that in order to get sound through those, you must use the factory amp unless you want to run new speaker wire to every speaker individually. But I could be wrong...

And from you are describing, I would think that it might not be your amp or deck with issues, but that somewhere along the way, your speaker wire was severed or melted. That would be weird to replace both the amp and the deck and still not get any sound. If that is the case though, running new speaker wire should solve the problem as long as the problem lies between the deck and the amp, and not between the amp and the speakers. If you do put new speaker wire in and you are sure it is spliced correctly, and still no sound, then you have wires cut elsewhere between the amp and speakers and you will have to do some tracking down.

Last edited by bballjames; 07-02-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 AM
4th Gear

i may have a series one because im fairly sure that my wiring harness is under the glove box. Im not sure tho because it is a 98 and both were produced in 98

Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I think that's ROW... in NAS they were both produced in 1999. Do your door handles stick out, or are they recessed?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
4th Gear

they are in and you have to like put your fingers in and pull out

Old 07-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You have a Discovery I.