Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Y Pipe Gasket replacement Broken stud HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Disco II Y Pipe Gasket replacement Broken stud HELP!

Well I put off replacing gaskets to the Y Pipe exhaust til today... every dang day I have time off its rainy!!!! anyway, soaked em up with PB Blaster... all coming off nicely til the inside drivers side snapped off... ok so how is it to get that broken stud out? and what is replacement method best ? is it something I can get locally? Ive been looking through threads hastily because being winter I have very little light hrs to work and I prefer not working in the dark lol

Last edited by dparham; 12-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
Well I put off replacing gaskets to the Y Pipe exhaust til today... every dang day I have time off its rainy!!!! anyway, soaked em up with PB Blaster... all coming off nicely til the inside drivers side snapped off... ok so how is it to get that broken stud out? and what is replacement method best ? is it something I can get locally? Ive been looking through threads hastily because being winter I have very little light hrs to work and I prefer not working in the dark lol
You basically have two options.
1.) Pull the exhaust manifold and drill out the stud and insert a bolt and nut. This could turn out to be a bad idea/approach because there's the potential of snapping an exhaust manifold bolt during the process. That will ruin your week.

2.) Assuming the Y-pipe is off. Exhasut manifold in-place. Soak the stud from top and bottom w/ more PB Blaster or apply some heat w/ a torch. Then attempt to extract the stud w/ a pair of vice grips or pliers. After you have the stud out - insert a bolt and nut.

I found, while switching out my Y-pipe, that someone before me ran must have into the same problem because I have nut and bolt on my inside driver's too.

Last edited by coors; 11-27-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its pretty easy to get off. Just get one of these:

Titan Stud Puller - 3/8in. Drive,Model# 16023 - Amazon.com Titan Stud Puller - 3/8in. Drive,Model# 16023 - Amazon.com

I think the stud thread is 8mmx1.25. You can get them online from all the normal rover parts places. Hardware stores do sell studs of this thread size, but I have no idea if you would want to use them for this application.

I would also get one of these Shop IRWIN HANSON Self Aligning 8mm-1.25 Tap and Drill Set at Lowes.com to make sure you can get the new stud all the way in .

Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

advance has the studs in the help section they are for a water pump, also research stud extractor it grabs on to the piece that is sticking out(maybe harbor freight)...hopefully you have a piece to grab onto.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by coors
You basically have two options.
1.) Pull the exhaust manifold and drill out the stud and insert a bolt and nut. This could turn out to be a bad idea/approach because there's the potential of snapping an exhaust manifold bolt during the process. That will ruin your week.
You dont have to take the manifold off to drill the stud out.

I had to drill out one the passenger side (closer to the engine i.e. more cramped space than driver side). It sucked, but I was able to do it with the manifold still mounted.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ill add that if you dont want to buy the Titan puller for a one time use, I think autozone rents out a different style of pullers.

I dont know if they work as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Winching

Well my only problem is that the stud broke flush to the exhaust manifold so i guess drilling and tapping is my only reasonable choice? lol

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah, yeah youll have to drill it. As I said though, this should be able to be done with the manifold still attached.

You dont have to tap it if you dont want to. Just get a bit that is just big enough to hit the threads (I think I used 5/16" and/or 11/32"). An 8mm bolt should then just slide through the hole.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Ah, yeah youll have to drill it. As I said though, this should be able to be done with the manifold still attached.

You dont have to tap it if you dont want to. Just get a bit that is just big enough to hit the threads (I think I used 5/16" and/or 11/32"). An 8mm bolt should then just slide through the hole.
yeah.. looks like that is how Ill attack it... I bought some 16000lb ramps to make job a little easier...
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by dparham; 11-27-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Winching

SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN ABOVE!! When I bought the ramps they had these cool little very powerful mini LED flashlights 2 fer5 deal at autozone so I picked one up! Well 2 lol anyway, put truck up on ramp and I have to admit the disco sounded pretty sweet with loose exhaust pipes! Sounded mean! Anyway now it's really good access I laid under truck and looked at studs! Looks like only the tip broke of!! So I do have something to grab on too with the little tool to extract bolt !!! Now... This means I need completely remove cat system right? Otherwise not sure how to get around it ... When all 6 screws to manifold are removed will it move out of the way to get tool on ?

Last edited by dparham; 11-27-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Disco II Y Pipe Gasket replacement Broken stud HELP!