Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Y Pipe Gasket replacement Broken stud HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you used heat yet or just the PB Blaster?

You can get a propane torch at Home Depot for less than $20. Heat the stud up so that it is red-hot. Let it cool and then soak some more. It'll come right out if you do that. If not you may be in for a bit of a surprise.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Not yet but I have my mapp gas rig here nd ready to go Monday ... Of the 6 only 1 broke... But I only have the drivers side to go and when I stopped it was coming out ok but since I could not finish before work I just decided to soak them til Monday then start removing y pipe and wait for new nuts and tool for extraction...

Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Winching

Well worked on this today, only one stud broke and waiting for Titan stud extractor to arrive . I did break off another stud at end of collector to the main muffler clamp.. Looks accessible to drill it out and put on stainless through bolt seems easiest remedy... Also I noticed I do not have to remove the cross brace either... the gasket on passenger side was in pieces and brittle and driver side was slightly cracked... Defiantly time to be replaced...

Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Winching

TITAN Stud Removal tool arrived today! its NICE! this morning I drilled out the exhaust flange so I could add a new bolt properly since stud had broken off... now Im ready tomorrow to install gaskets! I have the high heat 700˚ permatex gasket sealer I am considering just to be able to keep the gasket up there while I install y pipe back on... question.. I see one side of new gasket is flat and other has some ridges... does it matter which side is up? anyway here is my drilling experience! lol

Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a couple dabs of regular weatherstrip adhesive to hold the gasket in place while I bolt up the y pipe, I figure it burns off almost immediately. I put the flat part of the gasket toward the manifold, not sure why, but I started doing it that way and I'm a creature of habit.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
I use a couple dabs of regular weatherstrip adhesive to hold the gasket in place while I bolt up the y pipe, I figure it burns off almost immediately. I put the flat part of the gasket toward the manifold, not sure why, but I started doing it that way and I'm a creature of habit.
I face the smooth part towards the manifold also. Dont use any kind of gasket maker or anything like that. It will burn off almost immediately.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Winching

Well everything is back on ! Only that very nice TITAN studd extraction tool was not the answer... I barely turned it and rest of stud broke flush to exhaust manifold... Looks like a drill out will be next.. I did however pickup a stud c clamp kit ,pretty sweet, but I'm going to throw it in my emergency kit ... I don't know how reliable they are but it'll be there that time when I'm playing around and a stud brakes in the field! Lol also if I cannot find a long enough drill bit to reach up to manifold it could be my only option at the moment or let my car sit til march and ride my bicycle to work! Lol

Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that!

I used the titan on 10 manifold studs and only broke 1

Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Sorry to hear that!

I used the titan on 10 manifold studs and only broke 1
The Titan is a quality tool and I'm glad I now have it in my tool arsenal THANKS!! ... !!!! However of all my studs the one that broke was the one I needed removed...haha I might look for a left handed drill bit to drill and tap broken stud or just run a bolt through it like coors had suggested! After my success ill tackle the new 8mm wires! And open bell housing inspection plate and see if a bunch of oil from rear main seal comes pouring out... Hmmm wonder if that's possible? Lol

Last edited by dparham; 12-06-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
I lucked out here, I laid the new gasket on top of y pipe and it all just slipped into place! WHEW! Lol I did have to wedge a little block between cross member and cat( just sat cat on top) once it was put in place with studs ready to accept nuts! It really just slipped into place... I was happy

Quick Reply: Disco II Y Pipe Gasket replacement Broken stud HELP!