Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Disco wont start when hot (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/disco-wont-start-when-hot-73984/)

LR03NJ 06-03-2015 05:44 PM

Disco wont start when hot

A week ago my disco did not start after gas fill up. Waited for AAA for an hour and it started again and drove home instead. Weather was cool following day and was able to drive short distances without issues. Drove longer and wont start again. Took to shop and replaced with new fuel pump from AB. Day after, weather hot and drove 15 miles and went to store bought something and wont start again. Then, opened the hood for 30 mins and it started again. Any guess what is going wrong? Thank you.

antichrist 06-03-2015 05:52 PM

Does it crank and not start, crank very slowly or not crank at all?

LR03NJ 06-03-2015 06:24 PM

Thanks Tom,
Yes, it does crank. Seems like the gas pedal felt nothing. It just wont go once you turn the key.

mln01 06-03-2015 06:31 PM

These are classic symptoms of a failed crankshaft position sensor, usually abbreviated CKPS. The truck will start and run fine when it's cold but not after it's warmed up. And a failed CKPS can cause the truck to stop running even while you're driving down the highway. Not a happy event when you lose power steering and power brakes and may be in a situation where it's difficult to pull over on the shoulder.

A CKPS is available at your local, chain auto parts store. When I bought mine it was either $59 or $79, I don't recall which. Unbolting the old one and installing the new one is easy. By far the more difficult part of the job is disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connector that our genius British engineers decided ought to be tucked between the back of the engine and the firewall. Bastards.

I recall that you will need a 7 mm wrench and an 8 mm wrench to get the job done. And there are spacers between the CKPS and where it is mounted that need to be installed correctly. It's very important to assemble all the little parts in the right order. Just search for CKPS on this forum and you should find lots of information, and probably a lot of guys venting their frustration about the connector. Bastards.

LR03NJ 06-03-2015 06:53 PM

Oh, thanks. It could be that. I'll just get the part. The fuel pump was replaced already and the old one still good. At least I have a spare. Very few mechanic around work with land rovers around here so we do trial and error. hehe:)

mln01 06-03-2015 07:22 PM

Trial and error is never good. It can get very expensive. Use this forum. Diagnose, diagnose, diagnose. Do you have a copy of RAVE?

antichrist 06-03-2015 08:45 PM

Check Amazon for the CKPS. They had the best price on the one for the D1. Not sure if they are the same.

Alphamale 06-04-2015 07:11 AM

The CKP part No. is ERR7354 and depending on wether it's the auto or manual the spacer is different i.e. 9.2 mm spacer for vehicles with manual gearbox fitted. 18 mm spacer for vehicles with automatic gearbox fitted.

From what I can find out the D2s is not the same as the D1s

acamato 06-04-2015 07:13 AM

When the CKPS fails, the live output using an OBDII scanner will read 0 when cranking.

drowssap 06-04-2015 07:39 AM

you will get zero if your using a obdsII with live outputs, your tach in the truck will read zero until the truck starts