Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Other than the wiring/ecu, what parts have you made/are required? Is there an adapter to make the LS fit the D2 transmission?

As of now, if you want an LS conversion, you have to pay one of 2 places for a complete install, because they won't sell you the parts to do it yourself.
As junk as the Bosch engines are, vs how good and readily available LS's are, I'm sure you could sell a few kits initially. From there, you may get more business than you imagine.
I just spent over $2k in parts to rebuild my 4.6
I could've gotten a junkyard LS for wayyyy less.

Please give us more details.
Thanks!
We tried to use as many off-the-shelf components as possible. We designed and fabricated the adapter that goes between the LS and the ZF and the torque converter. The motor mounts are also custom. We've also made adapters that let you reuse your factory alternator bracket and AC/Power Steering bracket. That way the A/C doesn't have to be recharged and you can reuse your power steering pump and alternator. The LS has no internal modifications -- just a different oil pan and throttle body.

The wiring and ECU were difficult to figure out. I wanted to use the GM ECU because it is very easy to tune and get more power and efficiency. However, most of the Rover sensors are completely incompatible with the GM and cannot be simply wired together. Some sensors are duplicated, for others I had to use a simple microcontroller that feeds certain signals from the LS CAN over to the Bosch. The Bosch feeds everything else - BCU, TCU, SLABS - so they remain operational.

With the price I have in mind and a cheap junkyard LS, an enthusiast could do this swap for significantly less than a Turner shortblock. It would depend on options - i.e. headers or manifolds, and the engine choice. But in the end, you would have a lot more power, reliability, and cheap, plentiful parts.

The following 2 users liked this post by ACEngineer:
05TurboS2K (07-23-2019), Sixpack577 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

There is definately a market for a kit.
Once you get it all sorted out, please post pictures details, and price.
I think you would immediately sell a couple kits, and it would take off.
Not alot of love for LR engines.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM
TReK

Had I not just rebuilt my 4.6 I'de be beating your door down wanting an LS kit, lol!

The following 2 users liked this post by Sixpack577:
ACEngineer (07-12-2018), Vegasdisco2 (02-06-2022)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
There is definately a market for a kit.
Once you get it all sorted out, please post pictures details, and price.
I think you would immediately sell a couple kits, and it would take off.
Not alot of love for LR engines.
We'll get a parts list together -- which will give a good estimate on total price -- and an install picture guide. It's a fairly easy install - no more difficult than a Rover V8.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM
TReK

Thank you sir!
I just spent way too much in my D2, but I'm still interested in a kit. It would give me confidence to keep this thing long term.
Several others here recently looking for engine alternatives as well.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Aye !

Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Would this be emission legal in CA? I think I know the answer but I can hope!

Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

You'd have to goto a referee and make it all legit but if the engine is stock, has cats etc it'll probably be fine. Also depends on where you live since some county's don't require smog

Originally Posted by JohnHZ3

Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

If the smog test station in CA knows what a Rover V8 should look like, it wont pass the visual inspection.

But with all the emissions items in place, don't know why it wouldn't pass the OBDII port test.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by JohnHZ3
The GM ECU controls the check engine light and a second OBD2 port is added. As long as the GM ECU is happy, then the check engine should go off. As far as I understand it, regulations typically specify that swaps are legal as long as the engine is of the same or newer model year as the chassis it's going into and it is the same vehicle type (i.e. light truck to light truck) and all emissions equipment must be brought from the vehicle the engine came out of to the new vehicle. I don't know much about California though.

I'm confident that it could pass emissions in states that use the OBDII plug scan because it shows no codes. It has the Cats, O2s, and EVAP hooked up now. I'll look into emissions more, but it seems to be different on a state by state basis.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion