Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wayumean
Anyone in WA that wants to tackle this with me? I have a 2000 D2
Also game, like the other fella I too happen to live in Redmond/Woodinville area. I'm pretty seriously considering this swap if it becomes available reasonably soon.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
At this point, the electronics we have can make the Discovery work with most modern engine options – whether diesel or gas – using the stock ZF or other transmission options. Up to this point we’ve tailored everything to work with GM. In the future, I’m sure we will expand to other options. Since the GM platform has such a large aftermarket, it was the logical first step.

To answer your question, a crate E-rod would bolt up and work with the current kit. There are few external differences between the engines we have used and the E-rod. I probably however, would not bolt the E-rod to the 4HP24, just because if you are going that far into a restoration (like an Icon), you might as well go to the 6, 8, or 10 speed. The good news is that we can electrically support that option too.

However, part of the trouble with changing the transmission is the level of complexity. From the progress our beta testers have made, its clear that someone in their home garage can install the current kit. Getting rid of the 4HP24 makes the wiring and install more complex by a significant factor if you want to keep certain factory functionality. While I think competent shops and skilled individuals could install such a system with a different trans, I don’t think as many people would be comfortable doing such a swap in a home garage. I do think there is a market for such swaps and after we get a few more of these first kits out using the 4HP24, we will take another look at more advanced kits and options and perhaps do another prototype build.

Overall, the electrical system is expandable, so if a drivetrain can fit in a Disco 2, then we more than likely can make the gauges, ABS/traction control/hill decent control, A/C, etc work properly with some tinkering. If someone has an idea or is interested in doing some sort of a different build with along those lines, feel free to send a PM or email.
I would love to do a different transmission but what we do about the transfer case and I have a like new GM 6.5 turbo diesel on a stand in the back of the shop that would be fun to put in a d2

Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

If this stems out past GM motors, Pentastar 3.6 (295hp / 262ft/lbs) motor would be a nice option for the future. Plenty being made, great mileage, reliability, very light weight and happy to be forced induction for 450hp/400ft/lb for the crazies out there. I would suspect 17/21mpg out of this rig with it. But that's a talk for the future not today.

Meanwhile I'm looking for an LM4 for cheap if I can get lucky enough or maybe I'll have to eat the 80lbs and get a cheaper common iron block.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-14-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:49 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

following with lots of interest

Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there any new updates

Old 07-29-2019, 03:07 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Big news – next week kits will be available via our website at www.alternativeconversion.com. They will be sold with a lead time of approximately 5-6 weeks on a first ordered, first shipped basis. There will be a certain number of slots available and once those slots are filled, the website will return to out of stock until production catches up.

A couple of notes: first, we strongly suggest considering the Harness Rewire Service if you are concerned about wiring. Up to this point, most issues experienced have been related to wiring. With this service, we will examine your harness and do about 95% of the wiring for you.

The way this service works is as follows. 1. Purchase the kit. 2. Kit arrives. 3. Remove Land Rover wiring harness. 4. Send wiring harness to ACE. 5. In the meantime, install LS engine. 6. Receive revised wiring from ACE. 7. Install wiring harness.

This really takes a lot of the work and headaches out of the swap. With the Harness Rewire Service, only a handful of wires need to be spliced. If you would not want to wire for a new car stereo, then you probably should consider the Harness Rewire Service.

Second, generally speaking, this swap is not for the inexperienced. While we have done what we can to make it as easy as possible, this is not a project for someone who has never turned a wrench or has only done small projects. Head gaskets are good assessment. If you would not attempt replacing head gaskets on the Rover V8, then you may need to consider asking a mechanically-inclined friend to help you with installation.

Third, shops are welcome to purchase the kit, but we highly recommend also adding the Harness Rewire Service as it will be the most efficient. We will also do shop rates for multiple conversion kit purchases.

Overall, we are very excited about getting to this stage and we are hoping that this launch will go as smoothly as possible.

The following 3 users liked this post by ACEngineer:
CollieRover (07-29-2019), C_Bronson (07-29-2019), mollusc (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:11 PM
Drifting

excellent news ACE. Do you have a parts list yet for parts we should begin shopping for?

Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

And on that list can I add a ls1 from a c5 corvette as my engine of choice

Old 07-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by stereophile33
excellent news ACE. Do you have a parts list yet for parts we should begin shopping for?
This is the expected parts list. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yVE/edit#gid=0

Official parts lists and instructions will be distributed to your email when the kit is purchased.

Originally Posted by escott16
And on that list can I add a ls1 from a c5 corvette as my engine of choice
Yes, the LS1 will work, but you will need to use the truck accessory drive spacing.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:09 PM
6th Gear

Very exciting!

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion