Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 for my daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a BrownChurch roof rack? I can see why she would want it, when I met my wife she had a 2001 disco, green on tan with an SD rack and brush guard. I thought it was hot to see an attractive blonde in a disco, but maybe that's just m(and not what you want to hear about your daughter haha). I also wish we still had that truck...

Last edited by taylor15; 02-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Note - one common problems with Rovers is having a slight leak turn into overheating. The gauge does not help this, it is programmed to point at 50% from 130-240F. A $70 Ultra Gauge can keep an eye on that digitally, and you can program an alarm for it to remind offsring to call dad now, truck is too hot.
Yeah, the Jaguar XK8 has the same type of gauge. It's really just an idiot light without the light. A member of the Jag forum designed an electronic module, which he now sells, which turns the gauge into an actual temp gauge which reports the REAL temperature of the coolant. There is no "add-on" gauge stuck to the dashboard, the factory gauge reports the temp.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Never changed a main seal, but the rest looks really good. Head gaskets are the main problem with these, so check for signs of that (I'm sure you're aware of them). Also, if she isn't all that attached to the winch/bull bar and roof rack, you can easily sell those for a couple grand.
Yep, I've been doing some research here on the forum. I plan on thoroughly checking for coolant in the oil and other coolant leaks.

She wants the truck SPECIFICALLY because it has the winch/rack. She has no friggin' clue what a winch does, but she knows it looks cool. I really liked Buzz's idea of charging to unstick her friends. Unfortunately we don't get much snow here in North Carolina, and when we do, the Disco will be at MY house, not her mother's (assuming we buy it, of course).

Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The UG can read and reset codes, display live data, and even mpg. Pretty handy. See UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool.

Keep the rack and winch. In addition to being a boy magnet, there are no limits to what she can do with it. Kayak, camping, surveyor, photography, etc.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Overlanding

I have an app on my Android phone called "Torque". It's AWESOME! It only costs $5 (there's also a free version) and you can buy an OBDII adapter on eBay for about $15. For a total cost of $20 you can read virtually every sensor on your car. Torque does way more than read codes. It will show you ACTUAL coolant temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, MAF readings, O2 sensor readings, transmission fluid temp... You name it, it will show it.

Here's their website: Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle

And to interface with your car you just need one of these ELM327 adapters: Super Mini ELM327 V1 5 OBD OBDII Bluetooth Car Auto Diagnostic Interface Scanner | eBay

Torques interfaces with your car through Bluetooth, so there are no wires.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

can't show oil PSI, as there is no oil pressure sensor. Can only show same data from the OBDII port as the UG or any other scanner. IMHO, anything that increases the use of a phone by a teenage driver is a bad idea. Not sure how police view this stuff with a phone, we have a no texting law in my state.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I would suggest a Bettle, Jetta or Civic first.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Mudding

Brakes are not the best for the weight of these trucks. Make sure she's ready for that. In other words, they require more distance behind another vehicle to stop than say a Toyota Landcruiser.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
can't show oil PSI, as there is no oil pressure sensor. Can only show same data from the OBDII port as the UG or any other scanner. IMHO, anything that increases the use of a phone by a teenage driver is a bad idea. Not sure how police view this stuff with a phone, we have a no texting law in my state.
Depends on the car. If the oil pressure "sensor" is merely a switch which shows either low pressure or normal pressure, then you're right. But some vehicles have an ACTUAL sensor which reports the vehicles oil pressure to the ECU.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by 909wheeler
Brakes are not the best for the weight of these trucks. Make sure she's ready for that. In other words, they require more distance behind another vehicle to stop than say a Toyota Landcruiser.
Hmmm... that's good to know. My older daughter is notorious about tailgating, and no matter how much I yell at her, she just doesn't get it. She's 21 and on her own, so I can't do much else to get her to stop. One of these days, though, I'm sure she's going to rear-end someone. I hate that that is how she'll learn her lesson, but there's not much else I can do.