Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant smell and loss.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant smell and loss.....

I've searched around a bit and haven't found the answer to my questions.

I've got 104K on the clock and before 101K, don't know the history of this truck. I've changed all fluids excluding the coolant(which looks good) and brake fluid(pending). I've also changed the top radiator hose, as it had a crack in it.

I'm getting a coolant smell everytime that I pop the hood when the engine is warm. If I'm understanding and seeing correctly, this motor has a front cover which the water pump is mounted to. Two different gaskets sealing the coolant in, correct?

I'm seeing a bit of coolant at the base of my filler cap, as well as around the front of the motor. I'm hoping/praying this isn't head gasket related, as I don't see any signs of coolant in the oil and the motor runs great.

Do I need to drop the oil pan to replace this front gasket? Just to be on the safe side I would imagine it would also be best to replace the water pump gasket during this job, correct? Should I just go ahead and replace the water pump as well? Do I need to dig in as far as the head gasket during this whole job?

This truck is my daily driver and since I might be going to school in California within the next few months, needs to be as reliable as possible.

I appreciate all the help fellas.

A few pics:

Coolant on the resevoir cap

Most of the coolant(not even sure its coolant to be honest) seems to be focused in the area between the two black hoses in the middle of the pic, which is I'm guessing the front gasket area.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the water pump that needs to be changed. I had the same issue with mine at the same mileage. If you see a white deposit by the pump, that could be dry coolant. The other thing you can check is to look for any coolant leaks around the heads. I had a leak on the driver side on mine, and it was dripping on the exhaust.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The front cover does not have to come off to change the water pump, but the pump will come off to do the front cover.

The pump will leak through a seep hole when it is going bad. Try to pinpoint where it is leaking and take a pic with an arrow going to it.

First thing to do is order a new expansion tank. the black one's are prone to cracking...

Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your thermostat holder, or goose neck as it is also called, is what is leaking.
Mine is doing the same thing.

Mine has a small nick in it where the upper radiator hose connects and it cant form a good seal and drips small amounts of coolant, I have to add about 1/2 a gallon over a year.
I am going to replace it.

You can buy a new one at www.roversnorth.com or www.atlanticbritish.com, make sure you also buy a new thermostat and gasket.
It is a simple 15 min job.

With the engine cold rinse the area with clean water and then drive it for a day and check for the leak again, I am betting you see a small puddle of coolant ontop of the valley under the t-stat.