Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Camping

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:51 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Discovery Camping

So, this was my 3rd camping this summer and learning more about it. Since I have another lifted disco with larger tires, I decided to use a stock and at least more comfortable in long distance driving. A friend of mine invited me over 2 weeks ago to join the Muddy Chef Challenge in Vermont and I said yes. When I read the flyer, it was also mentioned off roading as well as camping and cooking. At that point, I got a bit excited and challenged with whats going to happen at the event. I called my friend shop if he could fabricate what I needed in a weeks time. So then it happened. . .

Tubes are for air conditioning or heating.

My roof rack hammock.

Generator and A/C-Heating unit covered in a waterproof cover.

A/C in use with generator

The back right shows the custom base made for the trip. Connected to a Swing Away hitch mount carrier.

Above is a 12 gallon water tank and on the right is another 12 gallon gasoline tank

Fridge/Freezer on a slide carrier. My spring loaded sunshade.

2 self inflating mattress that can accommodate up to 6 ft. 4 inches tall on a convertible deck that can be used as a table as well.

The camping went really well despite of the heavy rain storm that hit the camp. Before that, I went to a local hardware store to get a canopy. I thought that my setup will be enough but there are so many things that the Discovery is needed even for the Off Road event and a base camp is a must. I have to leave my wife and my daughter and they need at least a shade or something. LOL! So the canopy is needed in this situation. Prior to this camping event, we never moved the truck once we reached the location so a canopy was not needed and I have my own canopy that can be installed on the side of the truck anytime. Since I knew the event will have an Off Road event each day and not having big tires and lift to compensate, I armored its under belly heavily with all available skid plates installed front to back.

Primed

Painted

This is the picture of our base camp. I was able to keep all the Pelican and Tundra cases intact since I used them for my work. Those were used to keep all the cookware and stove. They are all padded and the things inside wont rattle during transport. Once we got on the site, it was taken out and have plenty room inside the disco to set up the sleeping decks for two people.

Cookware etc inside the waterproof case

Cookware etc inside waterproof case with chopping board

Coleman gasoline grill

All closed up and ready to go

Base camp with the awning added on site. Purchase from a hardware store near by.

So the best part is what the Land Rover do best, Off Road. Well, heres the story. Before the event, the three amigos were present, since its a 2004 it has a CDL. I went to my friends shop to get the CDL working because it got stuck since it was never used. Finally, shes ready for the trip. On the trails, the stock disco performed well not only that it has street tires installed but the CDL helped her go uphill on difficult terrain. Three Amigos? The first rock I hit hard, they magically disappeared, well it showed up upon driving home. Driving farther we reached the end of the trails and I saw a huge cave full of sharp edged rock path. I was watching all the big guys went through with some difficulty but all made it through. While watching them one by one I asked my friend it there is a U turn where I can meet them and showed me the direction. Then finally, the guy in front of me made his way and suddenly the pack leader pointed at me and said, "you can do it". In my mind, I can try it since my purpose was to build a camping Disco that can travel in comfort and do some minor wheeling. My heart was pounding ever so fast while I approach my truck from a distance thinking this is not some kind of obstacle I will definitely see in a regular camping situation. But there goes part of my ego, I dont back out, but ****, only way to go back now was through those rocks.
Started the truck and went. Upon my first turn, I blew a tire and every one was yelling to keep going. So I did. I got a flat tire and at the same time flat! Literally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but unfortunately never made it. My thoughts were, Im stuck in the middle of some National Park Forest and in a cave full of sharp rocks where theres no streets and how in the hell can AAA can get me out. All the Rover guys tried to help, lift the back of the truck to get me out, winch me out but not possible because of the angle where the truck lays. Tried to hit the gas hard but the truck was not moving at all. Eventually, the trail leader fount out that the CDL got disengaged and switch it to lock LOW, and the disco got out by itself with flat tire. Replacing the tire was another difficulty since there was no even or leveled ground but made it somehow.

The lineup before entering the cave.
STUCK! FLAT!
Anyway, before we got out, there was more rocks to go over then water then going back to the trails to reach the camp. We got back safe and no issues. The the end every one cleared and with final fluid checks we were set to go home. And yes, the final selfie. Oh, I forgot, we took our dogs too that never stopped barking.

The end of camping
Cheers!

The following 4 users liked this post by LR03NJ:
DKPhoto (08-02-2018), OffroadFrance (08-01-2018), OverRover (07-31-2018), wjsj69 (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Looks like a hell of a time sir!

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Very cool setup! I especially love the AC.
This really makes me miss camping for sure, it’s just too bad my back isn’t worth a

LR03NJ (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Fun!

LR03NJ (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Awesome write up! Wow, just wow. The set up, the ride story, a flat- good stuff. You're maybe the most Macgyver ist of the bunch. And that's no small feat! Let's see more of that interior set up. Was that a prior write up?

Last edited by jamestfl; 08-01-2018 at 07:16 AM.
LR03NJ (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Sounds like a great outing. Yes, sometimes you have to push yourself a little beyond your comfort zone...to achieve any degree of confidence in yourself and rover. Believe me, first time I went wheeling with the Ohio LR club...it was a little beyond what I thought the rover was capable of. They had mentioned in advance, that this outing would be for rovers with lockers, lift, working CDL, working traction control, winch and tires over 33". Was good in three departments, winch, CDL and lift...lol. But, all's well that end's well.

Thanks, for sharing and your rig is really turning out nice.

Brian.

LR03NJ (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd be bushed just unpacking and repacking all that gear! Plus kids, wife and dogs?!? Wow! The wheeling would be the most relaxing part of the trip!!

LR03NJ (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Take it easy Brian, every time you go on a wheelin weekend it costs you big $$$$$. Like your rig though, it's the DB's.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl
Awesome write up! Wow, just wow. The set up, the ride story, a flat- good stuff. You're maybe the most Macgyver ist of the bunch. And that's no small feat! Let's see more of that interior set up. Was that a prior write up?
Thanks James, The interior is straight forward configuration and still sits 5. Its just the folding deck space that can be converted to a bed. Though everything was made rushed, it all worked out. Here are some images of the setup. BTW, I had to get a rear step on ebay to get into the deck easily. Both decks can be assembled as tables.

2 extension decks that can be turned to 2 tables. I have not finished the entire finishing yet since it was made 2 days before we left.

This is the easiest way of organizing condiments and spices when tailgating. Cheap accessory tool pouch from Harbor Freight.

This is a wide shot of the deck. You can stack all the waterproof cases on top and bottom. Good sixe to fit 3 Pelican 1620 cases and plus a Freezer/Fridge on the left side where the slider installed. BTW, Fridge slider arrived the night before we left. It was a hell just for waiting for all the stuff to arrive.

The bottom of both decks have an inch tubing holder to hold the aluminum legs.

Decks painted 2 days before the trip. Awaiting for aluminum sheets.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Wow that is one loaded truck, and with good stuff for comfort.

Good on going out with what are basically street tires, and flats happen even to guys with nice off road tires.

One piece of hindsight advice, when you get stuck or cannot move, take a second and check your gearing, and the CDL. I have done it myself thought I was in low and was sitting in high and not locked. Annoying but not the end of the world.

LR03NJ (08-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Discovery Camping