Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery failure

Hi Guys,
My girlfriend and were driving along and the oil light had come on. Thinking its the oil pump getting lazy and the PSI may have been a small issue we carried on. The oil pump light did NOT flash but all of a sudden the engine just died and we coasted into a parking lot. I pulled out the dip stick and the oil level was fine but it was hot as hell... Im talking steam coming from the dip stick tube. Sat with the truck for a bit to let it cool off, then started it for a second and it sounded like a tractor with all the clacking going on. Clack Clack Clack Clack, So right then I figured the oil pump is done and there is no oil being feed to the engine.

I was told a little while back that I should consider, changing out my main bearings if we were planning on keeping the truck, and the guy said I would suggest doing the oil pump in the next little while just to be safe etc.

That being said...
Should I fear the worst has happened and the engine is done?
It was only about 3 months ago that we had the truck looked at and I was on the verge of ordering the parts as well... Now this has happened.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by Bartlomiej; 09-16-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well how many miles and what year is it? that would help to assess where you should be going with it?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Its a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II with 175,000 KM's on it so just under 110,000 miles.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I would guess from your post that you would be paying someone to do this work.

Driving on with oil light illuminated increased the expense of the repair most likely. It did not flash because it was not bobbing about up and down, the bottom simply dropped out. Oil PSI is normally 50 PSI plus at speed, and light comes on below 7. How long you ran with low oil pressure ate away at things, once light came on even more rapid wear was taking place.

Mechanic could drain oil, replace filter (it might, if you are very lucky, have been the filter), do a quick oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge. High probability that he will have to pull the oil pan and inspect main bearings. These can be replaced in the truck without engine being removed. As can the oil pump. However, you ran until seized, so there could be damage in all sorts of areas, including lifters, cam shaft, piston rings, and valve train.

A used engine can be had from boneyard, most of those will need head gaskets at a minimum. Prices go up from there. We have dismantelers on this site that can quote you a used engine that was running when it came in. There are web sites that specialize in engines for Rovers.

So spend a few dollars for towing to shop, inspection, written estimate. Don't go the B.O.A.T. method (bring over another thousand). Then you can decide on a new ride to impress the GF, and drag this to a dealer for a fake trade in, or sell as a project truck for maybe $1200-$1500. Or repair and enjoy.

It is a tough call, GF may have had ideas about what to do with your money.....

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-16-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn man hind sight is 20/20 but the rule of the law with Discovery's is if you see that oil light come on for any reason at all you shut it off and coast to a stop.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

First thing I would do is put a wrench on the crack and see if it still rotates, if it does good.

now in order to replace the oil pump you need to remove the front cover, that requires dropping the oil pan.

That would give you the opportunity to check the bearings at the same time, not what I personally would do, but that's me.

I would replace the oil pump,water pump (in needs to come off) new oil, clean the pickup tube and start it up and see what it sounds like.

If it doesn't quiet down with good oil and you have to drop the pan later for bearing its not a big deal, everything else does not have to be remove.

But I'm a gambler.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

How many miles or minutes did it take from oil light on until engine cut off?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Drowssap, the engine does still turn over it still runs. I replaced the water pump a few months back, so at least thats out of the way. I think that I would like to take the route of replacing the main bearings, oil pump & filter do a crank case flush and clean out the pickup tube.

Now I was reading that sometimes a sleeve can drop due to this type of problem? Is that possible?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Not on the D2, it has a ridge that prevents dropping down. Now it may start ticking if engine overheated (does not sound like you did that, just ran without oil pressure).

The kit of oil pump, WP gaskets, front cover gasket and front crank seal is about $114. You can buy an new oil pan gasket or use Right Stuff, there are lotz a bolts on that puppy.

May want to remove which ever valve cover is easier for you, and look at rocker arm shaft.

Once back together you can do the oil PSI test.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Savannah, The light was on for about 6km so about 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Discovery failure