Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I would write it off, personally.

It ran without oil long enough to lock up, and now it sounds like a diesel after restart? The short list of things that will need to be replaced is:

- Rocker arms and shaft assembly x2
- Push rods x16
- Lifters x16 (prolonged lack of oil pressure at highway speeds = collapsed lifter)
- Rod bearing set x8
- Main bearings
- Cam bearings
- Replace compression and oil ring sets.

And the following will need inspection/ measurement:

- Inspect cam lobes for wear, replace cam if evident.
- Inspect wrist pin for wear, replace pin if evident. x8
- Inspect connecting rod wrist pin journal for wear, replace rod if evident. x8
- Inspect/ measure cylinder bore for wear, replace liner if evident/ out of spec. x8
- Inspect/ measure crankshaft bearing journals for wear, resurface if evident, replace all bearings with oversized sets to match necessary machining.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Not on the D2, it has a ridge that prevents dropping down.
You'll have to excuse Buzz, he sniffed way too much glue back in the 70's. Facts are not his forte'.

They've used the same slick liner since the 1962 215c.i. Buick V8.

It's possible you dropped more than one liner. That is an incredible amount of friction heat generated which makes things expand quickly like pistons to rings, rings to liners even the piston skirts to liner.

Where are you residing (kilometers)? If it's to the "North" can you get your hands on a TD5? The 03/04 4.6L are junk. They really put the screws to the LR faithful with these two years.

My brand new Atlantic British catalog lists the 4.6 long block "Bosch" for $6995.95 US. It lists heads as secondary air (which I'd cap off).

Old 09-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I had to call the mechanics shop to find out what the deal is. Because you know I guess its not important for me to know...

I found out that right off the bat the guy said I need a new engine. I find that hard to believe considering that, if the bearings are spun, I should technically be able to get a new crank shaft and main bearings assembly then get the oil pump as well and clean out that pick up tube and see how it goes from there.

I have to call back tomorrow seeing as how the office lady didnt give me specific info.
She just said the mechanic said the bearings are spun and there is no oil PSI...

Thoughts on that boys?

Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Also to inform, the engine did not lock up...

Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bartlomiej
So I had to call the mechanics shop to find out what the deal is. Because you know I guess its not important for me to know...

I found out that right off the bat the guy said I need a new engine. I find that hard to believe considering that, if the bearings are spun, I should technically be able to get a new crank shaft and main bearings assembly then get the oil pump as well and clean out that pick up tube and see how it goes from there.

I have to call back tomorrow seeing as how the office lady didnt give me specific info.
She just said the mechanic said the bearings are spun and there is no oil PSI...

Thoughts on that boys?
I agree.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also to inform, the engine did not lock up...
Sorry, but when the engine did this...
[snip]The oil pump light did NOT flash but all of a sudden the engine just died and...[snip]
...it most certainly locked up.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Racer X: This was right after the light turned green, we were going less than 40km/hour, so you say it locked up, but it turns over without issue...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, the left over casting serves as a lip to prevent the drop. But it can wear away and allow continued drop. ihScouts is correct that it is not a built in feature, more like an undocumented feature or glitch in the QC process. When the heads are off you can see if one or more cylinder liners have dropped. Here are better pix of it. The Slipped Sleeve or Liner

Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"the oil light had come on. Thinking its the oil pump getting lazy and the PSI may have been a small issue we carried on." Why would anyone do this; especially why would anyone assume that oil pump is getting lazy and psi is a small issue, and continue driving?" Now, you must pay for your assumptions, that were certainly wrong. Clearly engine damage to some degree has been done, but nobody can guess at what overall damage was done. Engine must be taken apart, inspected internally to assess overall damage. With that insight, one can determine if one wants to rebuild engine, if possible--probably possible in this case, but cost to do so is a factor needing consideration--or what other options one wants to choose. Let us all hope that we all learn from this experience, never ever "continue on" when oil pressure light comes on; same too, never ever "continue on" whenever Rover engine overheats, or you certainly will pay for this mistake.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And consider that you might find one on craigslist and swap parts from yours, and still get about the same money at the boneyard as they pay by the pound.

Quick Reply: Discovery failure