Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Discovery II: How deep can it go? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/discovery-ii-how-deep-can-go-13041/)

andrewmcoffin 04-01-2008 05:36 PM

Discovery II: How deep can it go?

I saw a note (on the British Pacific website, I think) saying that American Discoveries should not be taken through deep water--that only diesel Discos were able to do this, and that American Discos shouldn't go any deeper than mid-axel.

I'm not planning on crossing a river any time soon, but I'd like to know what a mostly unmodded Disco can do--is it really limited to mid-axel?

Spike555 04-01-2008 06:05 PM

RE: Discovery II: How deep can it go?

How deep will it go? All the way to the bottom.

I take my DI into water upto the bottom of the hood.
If you read your owners manual it will tell you what Rover recommends.
Just dont get your electrics wet.

andrewmcoffin 04-01-2008 06:14 PM

So how do you avoid getting the electrics wet? With a modification? Or is there something specific you watch out for while driving?

I'll check my owner's manual again tonight...I remember reading that section and assuming that the official recommendation was probably less than what the vehicle could handle for safety reasons.

Urban Panzer 04-01-2008 07:56 PM

20 inches or 500mmis the max recommended wading depth, but i've seen em go a lot deeper than that. Its probably more "dodgy" with a Petrol than a diesel, but 20 inches does not even cover the wheels tbh. Worth extending the rear axle breather up in tothe engine compartment if you do plan to swim deeper than 20 inches.

Water up to the top of the arches is probably the max without a snorkle fitted.

Disco Mike 04-01-2008 08:00 PM

Spike,
You can take your D1 a little deeper then a D2 because of the location of you air nozzle on the air box.
As for your question on how deep you can go, depends on how good a shape your door seals are, how experienced a water driver you are and the current, but for the most part you can go up to the top of the tires only, no deeper.

Spike555 04-01-2008 08:49 PM

Yeah I know that a DI can go deeper than a DII. The more I find out the more I am glad that I bought the DI and not the DII.

The trick is to keep moving and a steady pace. Start slow and then speed up until you get a small bow wake and then hold that speed. As long as you are moving the water will not get into the electrics. Everything under the hood is designed to get wet, just not soaked. If you stop you are done.
Make sure that you know what you will be driving on and how deep it is all the way. When in doubt get out and walk it. Hip wader's are a good thing to have if you plan on running into water.
If it is a fast moving river cross at a angle with your nose facing up-stream. Lock your CDL in low, put the trans in 2nd and go.
FYI-snorkle's for the gas engine are for looks only. They are NOT water tight and a gas engine WILL NOT RUN when submerged.
They are good for extreamly dusty conditions because the air you suck in is above the dust, but that is all they are good for.

Urban Panzer 04-01-2008 10:18 PM

Snorkels can be easily made water tight from the top right into the airbox, and onto the engine.

and a gas engine WILL NOT RUN when submerged
Oh yes it will ;), not recommended, but :-
Probably the best and funniest wading video ive seen, and its aPETROL!! engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr8eEWyKQHM

Newbie 04-02-2008 07:16 AM

I am a bit confused. On many other posts I seen warnings about power washing DI's because of the electrics, but that it was fine for DIIs. So how can the DI's wade deeper than the DII's?

Urban Panzer 04-02-2008 10:10 AM

Hi, well its been mentioned that itsbecause of the location of the intake on the airbox, However, the air intake on my TD5 D2 is actually higher than the air intake on my V8 D1. So maybe the D2 V8 intake is a lot lower, I dont know as Ive never looked that close tbh

Newbie 04-02-2008 11:38 AM

Yeah I noticed that someone mentioned the difference between intake height. But I had read that the D1 ECU tends to have problems with power washing, where the DII does not. So I am wondering why that is? Also why wouldn't that be a limiting factor for wading depth.

Thanks