Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Discovery II stuck in 3rd gear (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/discovery-ii-stuck-3rd-gear-51338/)

eroc_memphis 07-18-2012 10:57 AM

Discovery II stuck in 3rd gear

Hi, this is my first post here.

My discovery II is stuck in 3rd gear, but only in 1,2,3, or D. That is, P,R, N work fine. No matter what drive gear I'm in it will only go in 3rd. This problem isn't consistent though. Once in awhile it will magically start out in 1st and shift perfectly. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Disco Mike 07-18-2012 11:16 AM

Do you have a check engine light on, if so go to your local parts store and get the code number and get to us with them. You may just be in limp mode, should read your owners manual.

eroc_memphis 07-18-2012 11:50 AM

No, I don't have a check engine light on, but I'll read the manual and see what i can find.

drowssap 07-18-2012 12:12 PM

Is the "D" flashing on the dash or the console?

eroc_memphis 07-18-2012 12:47 PM

No, the D is not flashing on either.

Disco Mike 07-18-2012 12:54 PM

So, if you shift the tranny into drive, are you saying it actually starts moving in 3rd or does it shift from 1st up to 3rd but not into 4th?
Are you sure your service engine light is working, does it come on when you turn the key to the 2nd position?

eroc_memphis 07-18-2012 01:26 PM

Yeah, it starts off in 3rd and stays in 3rd. No power when it takes off from a start position and I can tell the gears aren't shifting. When I'm on the interstate going 65 i can tell it has another gear to go because it's only at 4,000 rpm. If it was in 2nd it would be higher than that and 4th would be lower. Yes the light comes on when the key is in the 2nd position.

I just read up a little in the manual and found that there are 2 fuses that deal with the transmission. I took both out to check them - they were both good so I put them back in. I tested it just for kicks and it's working now - starts in 1st, and shifts to 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Like I said though, it works on and off like that and has for the past month. I'm hoping this time it will stay and isn't just a coincidence! It did the same thing just yesterday when i had the oil changed - worked from the shop to the house, but when i got back in later that night it went back to the dreaded stuck in 3rd gear problem.

Disco Mike 07-18-2012 01:52 PM

Good. Now if it comes back and you have a check engine light then your are in LIMP MODE and we will need to look in a different direction.

jfall 07-18-2012 01:53 PM

You risk damaging your torque convertor starting off in 3rd all the time.

Check the selector switch on the side of the case and do the normal maintenance on it like changing the filter and the trans fluid

eroc_memphis 07-18-2012 02:13 PM

Thanks Mike! I'll give an update in a day or 2.