Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Mileage

Hey I am just thinking about purchasing a 2002 Discovery and it has 134,000 miles or so on it It is around $3,000 is this Discovery still good even with the higher mileage? It has been kept in great shape I am just wondering about the mileage affecting it.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Discovery Mileage

It depends on how well it was taken care of and what type of driving it was used for. Check for anything obvious, such as coolant leaks misfires, etc...

No one on this forum will really be able to help unless we could have the Disco right in front of us. Use your best judgment. That means research as much as possible and search the forums!

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well 134,000 miles is not considered high miles anymore. You need to be over 200k to say that.
But with that being said, these trucks will last well into the 200k range and some have reported over 300,000 miles.

Just so you know you MUST use premium gas, LR's require it, not recommend but require.
The front driveshaft must be rebuilt using greasable u-joints.
Any more questions the people on here are always willing to help.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You will be fine with that mileage as long as it was maintaned properly. Plan on doing a comple service once you get it, that I will be glad to walk you thru when you are ready.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Rock Crawling

Preventative maintenance is the best method to avoid catastrophic problems later. Most car owners are gas-and-go types. Even with a used Rover with over 100K miles, you can fix it up and expect it to last a long time. Don't let small problems become big repairs. I put my Rover on a lift at least once a month to check for leaks, loose equipment, and anything else suspect. Finding small issues now means cheaper fixes and more peace of mind.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear

got to be a good buy not a huge amount of miles would cost u around 3 times that price over here in sunny scotland

Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Mudding

All good advice your'e getting here.Just realize these vehicles need TLC and have predictable repair needs. Read up on it here as well as the other forums.You will enjoy the truck much more if you accept its needs andare not overly surprisedwhen expenses occur.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Three Wheeling

my 3k$ 75kmile Disco has given nothing but trouble

why only good gas? the CR is only 9.35, and the advance is not agressive, i have no ping w/87

we MUST run 93 in the 10.5:1 25psi boosted monster in the garage, i feel the rover can do w/o, esp if you pull about 3*advance

maybe i should tighten the squish. bump the CR to 10:1, add a litle swirl, and groove the head, 87 would do it then for sure

Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to run premium not because of the compression ratio but because there is no EGR to cool the cylinder chambers and because of that fact the combusyion temps are higher when running lower octane gas and it bakes the oil inside the engine thus causing excessive sludge build up.
So by running 87 octane gas you are costing yourself money and starting a huge headache.
Ever notice that a not well cared for Disco has excessive engine sludge? Why? Because the owner went cheap with his $45,000 truck and ran the wrong gas.
You get what you put in, cheap in and trouble out. Its a $45,000 truck and needs to be treated as such.
Use the right parts/gas and you will not have so much trouble, sorry but thats just the way it is.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Rock Crawling

The Rover engine is a very over-square design, meaning the pistons are much wider in diameter than the length of the stroke (94mm x 71mm). Although many newer engines (especially high revving Japanese cars) have over-square engines, the Rover engine was not originally designed for these specs. I assume Rover ran into some problems running the 9.35:1 compression and decided to use premium instead of lowering the compression or changing the bore or stroke. All things considered, I wish they offered a diesel here instead.

Cheers,

Pete

Quick Reply: Discovery Mileage