Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Wiper Blades

Okay, this seems like a silly question to me, but I've been having trouble.

I need to replace the wiper blades on my 2000 Disco, but when I go into my local stores and check the books, the blades they say fit are nothing like the blades actually on the thing. I don't think they would even fit inside the little clippy area that locks the blade in place.

So . . . is there a specific place to replacement blades? Any brands that work, or am I stuck getting them from Land Rover?

Old 05-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Correct Wiper Blades

any place that sells blades, i belive they are 18" blades, you prolly need to check the way you are installing them.

Old 05-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Mudding

The book said 22", but those were definitely too long, so 18" sounds about the right.

The problem is that the wiper arms have a funky little clippy bit that wraps around the blade. The part that connects the blad to the arm is recessed, with a single bar that the locking clip attaches to. Most of the wipers I've found have a connection that is too wide to fit into this wrap-around area . . .

Old 05-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Overlanding

Purists will probably cringe at this, but I refuse to be taken at the dealership on something as generic as wiper blades. Last time I needed replacements, I went to a local auto parts store, removed one of my wiper blades in order to have a reference for width (there are two basic widths of wiper blades), and measured the length of the others. I found basic blade refills as close to length as possible. I think for the rear I had to cut an inch or so off using a pair of wire clippers. Problem solved, they work great and at a much lower cost that LR OEM prices. Saves a few bucks for the next time I need a part that really needs to be original. Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Winching

Good job khtemple ! No cringing here. The wiper blades are unique in the States.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Mudding

Cool. Looks like I'll go with refills instead of new blades. With the bugs out in force around the Great Salt Lake, I need to get these updated before I head back down there. It was pretty bad a month ago . . . [:'(]

Old 06-01-2005, 12:51 PM
4wd Low

I refuse to let the Dealer fleece me for these parts, so I just went to a Pep Boys and bought replacement blades there. I used their guide to find the right replacement number. When I went out to the parking lot to put them on, of course they weren't even CLOSE to being the right size. The clips, attachments, everything was different than the rover blades... So I went back in and returned them, and asked for help. The genius at Pep Boys just walked up to the display and grabbed the same ones I had just returned. It was clear he was useless.

What I ended up doing was bringing in one of my Rover blades, then matching the size up with a replacement (I think it's 21"). Save the original rover blade housing, then remove the actual rubber blades from the new set and slide them into the old Rover blade housing. Sounds like a pain, but it can be done with a flathead screwdriver and a pair of pliers, in about five mintues. BE CAREFUL, the metal on the wiper blades can be extremely sharp. They work great and are mucho cheapo compared to the brand name parts.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wal-mart had my blades listed in the bok, i was getting oil and just thought i would check it out. i bought the blades and they fit perfect and were right lengh (18" as i metioned before) and the clip was correct.