Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ditching the running boards

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ditching the running boards

I think its about time to ditch the running boards. They just get in the way, and I'm 6' 4" so i dont really need them. My question is, when I take them off, is it going to look faded or messed upin some areas that have been covered and will I have to add any mud flaps? It looks like the front mud flaps are connected to the running boards. Also, it looks pretty easy to do, does anyone have experience taking them off?

And last, how much should I sell them for? I was thinking about $150-$200?? More or less? let me know what you guys think! Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ditching the running boards

Hey Cam-
I just took my stainless steel boards off last weekend. It's very easy to do and there shouldn't be any fading to deal with. Each end of the boards has 2 bolts that secure it to the mounting bracket. Undo those and pull the board away from the truck. There are two long hex shaped bolts that need to be removed (one at either end). The long bolts screw into another piece. Refit the nut that holds those long bolts back onto the body. Lastly, there's one more small bolt that needs removing too at the end of the bracket. In all it took about an hour to do both sides with the help of a buddy on the front while i worked on the rear. Once you get under and have a look it's pretty self explanatory. I didn't even look at the installation instructions. I'm trying to sell mine on Craigslist for $350. A little steep, but I was trying to cover the cost of a set of RTE springs, but now that $$ is going towards a front drive shaft replacement. I've had a couple bites so far, but they aren't sold. If you go with your asking price you should get rid of them pretty quick.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
TReK

Thanks, sounds like it will bea good weekend job. When it get warmer of course! Hopefully they will sell quickly, I am ready to put on some new tires.

Thanks for the Help!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I think it would be more fun to go rock crawling and just tear them off, something you have been avoiding for so long.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 PM
TReK

HAHA I know! Well the main reason is because a loooong time ago you told me they would get in the way when I was wheeling... well my time to wheel is now and the boards need to go! I dont know about rock crawling, but I am hitting the trails, REAL trails!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a used set (1 side each via Ebay auctions), I had to get them because my wife could not get into the Disco and she helped me pay for it! She is only 5' 1" and the Disco also has a 3 inch lift kit so that is that.

I can tell you from my experience that often the ones that come up on Ebay don't have all the hardware as in my case, so I had to buy hardware and brackets from another seller.

If you are selling yours with the brackets, mudflaps, all nuts and bolts including the extension bolts that attach to the chasis frame you should be able to get $300-500 depending on their condition and how you do you ad on Ebay (photos, description, etc.) in my opinion. Don't forget to allow for shipping, the boxes will be big and fairly heavy. FedX ground seems to have the best freight rates right now.

You willneed to keep the largehex nut that holds the brackets to the extension bolts becausethe nutsare neededwhen you remove the extention bolts to keep your body held to the chasis. Also if you leave the extension bolts on you will probably just bend them or break them off going over rocks, You will need a 10mm socket wrench and a 10mm box wrech, a 13mm box wrench and I believe a 15 and 17mm sockets to get them off and replace the large hex nuts.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A guy parting out his 96 gave me his for $20 with a broken bracket. I welded a new one on, cleaned them up and painted them. I had them on for 2 weeks and now they are going on Craigslist as soon as I can get outside to take a picture...

Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM
TReK

Go for a profit! HAHA, I think I might pick up the hobby of finding cheap parted out rover parts and re-selling them for a profit.... good qulaity of course! it would be worth it!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I better hold off on removing and selling mine...Sounds like Craigslist is about to be flooded with them.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

Go for a profit! HAHA, I think I might pick up the hobby of finding cheap parted out rover parts and re-selling them for a profit.... good qulaity of course! it would be worth it!
Ever since they put that darn little e-bay thing at the bottom, I have been looking. I got a MAF for a D1 for $40, front diff for $30 (yes, $30 guaranteed), and an atlantic british wiring converter for $40. This is all with shipping included. These are just spares for me, but I know I could sell for more if I wanted. Well, I think my rear diff might be ready to go, so I am going to keep it...

Quick Reply: Ditching the running boards