Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you like the new Discovery better than a DII?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Do you like the new Discovery better than a DII?

Assuming you had no knowledge of any DII issues. Would you pefer a brand new DII or a 2017 Discovery?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...s5HA9v-GYbxNtg

I like both, but probably would take a DII based on looks and utility. The new one is probably better in most specs, but I have difficulty imagining it as a serious off-roader. Picture the new one lifted four inches and wearing 35 inchers, and steel winch bumper. I can't, it looks like a soccer mom, grocery getting, valet parking type vehicle.

The new one does offer a turbo diesel (finally) and can ford up to three feet (impressive, but how many soccer moms cross a creek?). I think they dropped the Defender so it wouldn't compete with this new Discovery, the serious off-road folks preferring something more rugged and simple.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

I would drive a lime green Ford Focus before I'd step foot in the new Land Rover Explorer. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Discovery failed miserably. I also predict the Discovery will be phased out in the years to come, leaving the Range Rover line only. Who knows, LR may decide to build a convertable Discovery with a flower holder in the dash.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (10-09-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Who knows, LR may decide to build a convertable Discovery with a flower holder in the dash.
LOL, that's hilarious.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench

I just hope this forum doesn't start a "What did you do with your NEW Discovery today" thread. Because it would read like this:
"Today i took my new Discovery to the mall and had a killer time traversing some speed bunmps. I didn't want to over do it because my kids were in the back seats watching Titanic in the tv headrest. We then drove over to the park and played with big sister, the new Explorer. Fun times!" On the way home we all had to wrap ourselves in trashbags to make sure the plush robot white seats didn't get dirty."

The_OGCJR (10-09-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

yes- sir- ree- bob folks....they're gonna be lined up around the block to buy one of these just so they can adjust their seats with their phones..........

Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Disclaimer. I own two D2's, 2 RRC's and a 109 with a 200tdi.
My wife's bone stock "grocery getter" LR4 destroys all of them in any off-road comparison I've been able to do.

An anemic V8 that can't get it of it's own way vs the LR4's 375HP v8 or the new TD6? No comparison. It's not even close.

Nostalgia is all well and good. I love my older trucks and wouldn't give them up, however there is no doubt in my mind that the new version will be just fine.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

JLR discontinued the current Defenders because it wasn't selling in numbers that justified continued production and could not be modified in current format to meet incoming legislation in the EU.

The new Defender range will apparently provide the most utility in the JLR lineup when it finally debuts.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Haha I love my Disco II to death, but it's sometimes painful coming into the DII forums and reading the totally blind lust some members have for the model.

Rewind 17 years ago when the DII came out - what were you all doing? Were you LR's target audience? How many of you bought these things new in 99, 2000, etc?

Yeah exactly - they're an acquired fad and hobby of ours. I really don't think it's fair to judge JLR who is in the business of selling cars.

If you aren't in a position to buy a $60k SUV then I think you should reserve your opinion of the new Disco for a later date - at least as far as it being a complete failure. YOU aren't their target audience anyways - hate to say it.

I've spent a lot of time around LR's premier sponsored venues and worked alongside their communications and PR manager for JLR NA - they spend a lot of time and money reaching out to a target audience. Adventurous families, equestrian competitors driving through their cross country courses with their dogs, buddies driving to their regional airport to get some extra hours in for their commercial pilots license, etc.

LR isn't selling the new Disco to wrench-yielding off-road enthusiasts who do their own oil changes!!!!!! They're offering a product to loyal LR4 customers who have waited an entire decade for a replacement. They are (for the first time) competing DIRECTLY with Porsche, VW, BMW, Audi, plus the Japs for STANDARD premium / lux SUV market share, not just a niche market for offroad enthusiasts.

I really hate to say it, but LR doesn't care if most of us in this thread don't care about the new Disco, because most of us wouldn't even comprehend being able to purchase such a vehicle in the first place.

As far as the capabilities go - give me a break and stop acting insecure. It's rated at almost three feet of wading depth STOCK. That's simply unheard of, by a WIDE MARGIN.

They've also boosted the tow capacity up for the first time in the history of Land Rovers (I think the significance of this is lost of most of the auto media world). Going past 7700lbs now places them firmly past BMW, but also past the Audi AG vehicles Ie Q7, Touareg, Cayenne, etc by a 500lb margin. This is all due to the fact that they dropped curb weight by almost double that, which also yields incredible results in performance advantages.

Just as the LR3/4 was the first IBF frame Land Rover ever, the new discovery is now the first unibody Disco ever.

I mean I respect, admire, and stand by JLR as a company. If they put themselves in a position to sell record vehicles (which they're doing, by the way) then I'll give them credit. They don't make money by impressing a generation which covets products they built two decades ago - they simply MUST compete in the current automotive marketplace.

ALSO for the record, you can quite the Explorer jokes. Ford has a long history of copying JLR products going back a while now. Take a look at the new Lincoln MKZ which is LITERALLY identical to multiple Jaguar models. The Fusion was nearly identical to past Ian Callum designs for Aston Martin and Jag as well. Ford's Edge was a HUGE steal from Disco and range rover ideas including packages that featured floating roof trim, hood wording/branding, etc. This is NOT A NEW trend, and it's ALWAYS been Ford going after JLR - which continues to feature design cues that go back to the original range rover classic and defender.

Having said that, I really don't think the new Discovery looks anything like... well... anything else on the road. I think it's instantly recognizable as being a Discovery and NOTHING else. It truly is a beautiful machine, and taking into account its incredibly light weight, massive interior storage/passenger space, huge towing capability, etc... it looks TINY.

I'd even go as far as to say it looks nearly as exclusive and exotic as anything in the current Range Rover brand lineup, which probably a very controversial decision within JLR.

I'll finish by correcting the poster which essentially said this will tank and become the worst selling product in their history. You clearly have zero clue what JLR is all about and what their true (current) target audience is. You're self-absorbed in your third-forth-generation owner world, thinking the company is there for YOU. And boxes on wheels. And live axles. And ladder frames. etc etc. Yeah, it was 20 years ago, but now they've moved on. Wake up and show some humility. I KNOW I'm not LR's target audience, but I've sold plenty of people in that niche on new vehicles for them. I remain an enthusiast and do my part to boost the brand and uphold their heritage and place as a leader in offroad vehicles and offroad enthusiast communities.

With the feature set the new Disco holds, as well as its performance figures, class-leading space and tow/payload, (probable) great safety marks, amazing lux features at a SURPRISING price point (unlike anything in their current lineup, besting even comparable jeep GC) plus the addition of a diesel powerplant in a NON premium lux / range rover brand for the first time in LR NA history, AND even better (unreal) offroad specs.. I can EASILY say that this will become LR's best-selling vehicle right off-the-bat.

Last edited by EstorilM; 10-06-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Pro Wrench

The new Discovery will likely be like the Freelander. Sales will be dismal. Of course JLR is getting away from their roots, a unique looking vehicle that stood out among the crowds. One that drew attention and captured the minds of true off road enthusiast. When you drive down the road in a DI or DII you know you are above the rest and take pride in being different. Leaving an oil stain in the parking lot, laughing when the weatherman says heavy rain and flooding possible today, and knowing that your vehicle competed in a world wide off-road competition that still today is talked about. Now, it's just another typical run of the mill suv. Which is fine but sad. The glory days of LR are over and done with and they were good while they lasted. If you happen to own a DI or DII you have a cool piece of history. Even the LR2-5's will probably be unique in the years to come bc they still had a styling that stood out. The new Discovery though, never.

Last edited by stillruns; 10-07-2016 at 08:12 AM.
TRIARII (10-09-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The styling is too conservative and doesn't look anything like a Disco I to IV. Only the rear license plate area pays tribute to the other 4 Discos. It looks too much like a rebadged Ford Explorer or Range Rover Sport. Too much competition in this segment. Interior looks dated already. The new Ferrari GTC4 looks like a 2017 interior. This things looks like it came out of 2003. Not distinctive enough for new or old clients. I would rather buy a Macan, BMW X1-X6, or Mercedes SUV.

Last edited by JimmyChooToo; 10-07-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you like the new Discovery better than a DII?