Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome light "ON" position not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dome light "ON" position not working

I just received my new light fixture for the forward interior light with the anticipation of finally having the "on" position working... with no good results!
I investigated and a starting to think I missed a connection after I removed the headliner to redo my sunroof drains. Looking at the backing plate (which I removed from the outer side of the panel and put on the light for the photo... the metal peice with the two bolts on it) I notice a tab that has a couple scratches on it, like there was a connector on it. SEE PIC... top left.
I am now thinking that there is a wire with this connector is floating around somewhere up above...maybe a ground?
I am going to take the overhead console down tomorrow and see what I find.
If anyone knows anything about this... how about that tab in the top left of the photo?
Thanks,
Brett

Attached Thumbnails Dome light "ON" position not working-img_0206.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

see attached pix. The C0356 has the purple and the purple/blue wires for the lamp, the C0357 shown is the ground connection (black) for other side of lamp. The RAVE schematic shows that ground cable goes back to the rear of the truck to header 706, where a bunch of grounds tie in. You may have a ground spot more easily accessed, or if there is a metal tab somewhere you could drill into (not thru the roof, don't need another leak).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 lamp.pdf (367.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling

thanks Buzz..
I am hoping that once I undo the plastic overhead console I find loose wire up there that will simply clip back onto the ground tab. Maybe it was clipped back on an incorrect spot...possible I guess.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Always my pleasure to point out what little I can - Just noticed that this is my 10,001th post.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Update:

Fixed...
The black ground wire that was supposed to be attached to the tab on the light fixture back plate somehow was put on a tab on the sunroof motor. Took a good look around and there were no other wires (thinking there might be a ground for the sunroof motor...but none seen!.. Everything working)
I should be so pissed at the guy that put it back together post sunroof drain fix... but that would be me.
Now I have an extra lighting fixture.
Might look into adapting it to the back seat one? or maybe not?