Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock Actuator Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:45 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Door Lock Actuator Question

Hey Everyone,

What could cause the door lock actuators to go out on both my rear doors and rear tailgate? It's been like that since I bought Disco and I'd like to find out what is going on.

I unlock and lock the truck from the outside on the keylock, driver's side door. When unlocking, turns to the left yield the two actuators on the front doors to unlock, but as far as I can tell no activity on the rear doors or rear tailgate.

Whats weird is that as I turn the keylock to lock the vehicle, turn once and only drivers side door locks, but turn twice (to "Superlock") and all are locked, even the rears.

So the rears/tailgate operate under locking but not unlocking. Anybody had this issue before?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
Hey Everyone,

What could cause the door lock actuators to go out on both my rear doors and rear tailgate? It's been like that since I bought Disco and I'd like to find out what is going on.

I unlock and lock the truck from the outside on the keylock, driver's side door. When unlocking, turns to the left yield the two actuators on the front doors to unlock, but as far as I can tell no activity on the rear doors or rear tailgate.

Whats weird is that as I turn the keylock to lock the vehicle, turn once and only drivers side door locks, but turn twice (to "Superlock") and all are locked, even the rears.

So the rears/tailgate operate under locking but not unlocking. Anybody had this issue before?
The motors just get gunked up over time unless they all went bad at once. I have had luck pulling the actuators out and putting light lube in them and then lubing all of the moving lock parts. But they never last for more than a few months after that. I have not found a way to take them apart but there probably is a way to do that.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:00 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't waste time effing around with those.
They are not repairable.
Meaning you can muck with then but don't bother.
You'll eventually need to replace all 5.
That is what I did.
yes it is expensive.
But all the locks worked fine after that.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I got all worked up when i read a post on installing a new motor in the actuator, but got my bubble busted when I read that it was for D1, and the D2 cannot be taken apart. I have both passenger doors that do not operate, all others work fine.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I got all worked up when i read a post on installing a new motor in the actuator, but got my bubble busted when I read that it was for D1, and the D2 cannot be taken apart. I have both passenger doors that do not operate, all others work fine.
I decided to fix all family broken door locks. The really fun part was ordering them. New ones for the Ford were 26 bucks each. Used ones for the Disco were 80 bucks... until you factored in that not all of the used ones worked. So I endeavored to open them and find out what was wrong. Despite best efforts to scientifically get inside, I ended up doing the hulk smash on one just to see what was inside. That's the closest I got to fixing one.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I decided to fix all family broken door locks. The really fun part was ordering them. New ones for the Ford were 26 bucks each. Used ones for the Disco were 80 bucks... until you factored in that not all of the used ones worked. So I endeavored to open them and find out what was wrong. Despite best efforts to scientifically get inside, I ended up doing the hulk smash on one just to see what was inside. That's the closest I got to fixing one.
Is there a place to find the Ford part numbers? I'd love to save some money.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Mskembo
Is there a place to find the Ford part numbers? I'd love to save some money.
Apologies. I was comparing. The Ford ones won't fit. I just fixed the ones on my Excursion the same day. Sadly I don't think there is an alternative to the Rover actuators. I've bought a couple of new ones and several used ones over the years. The used ones form ebay sometimes don't work right out of the shipping box.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I found the regular lock motor brushes wear out.
I have taken the actuators apart and swapped the end of the motor with the brushes from the superlock motor (since most people don't superlock anyway the brushes are like new at least on mine) to the regular motor and they have been working fine on a couple of my doors for years. I didn't even reinstall the superlock motor.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Apologies. I was comparing. The Ford ones won't fit. I just fixed the ones on my Excursion the same day. Sadly I don't think there is an alternative to the Rover actuators. I've bought a couple of new ones and several used ones over the years. The used ones form ebay sometimes don't work right out of the shipping box.
Aha, shoot! I know BMW sold Land Rover to Ford during that same time period and was really hoping for overlap.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInA88
I found the regular lock motor brushes wear out.
I have taken the actuators apart and swapped the end of the motor with the brushes from the superlock motor (since most people don't superlock anyway the brushes are like new at least on mine) to the regular motor and they have been working fine on a couple of my doors for years. I didn't even reinstall the superlock motor.
Thanks didn't realize the locks had two motors, good to know.

I do seem to remembering seeing a good write up on some site with good photos on motor replacement. Might be good time for a Google search unless someone comes up with a good link or option.

Last edited by number9; 06-11-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuator Question