Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock Actuator Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Thanks didn't realize the locks had two motors, good to know.

I do seem to remembering seeing a good write up on some site with good photos on motor replacement. Might be good time for a Google search unless someone comes up with a good link or option.
From what I have researched, this will only work on the D1, and not the D2.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInA88
I found the regular lock motor brushes wear out.
I have taken the actuators apart and swapped the end of the motor with the brushes from the superlock motor (since most people don't superlock anyway the brushes are like new at least on mine) to the regular motor and they have been working fine on a couple of my doors for years. I didn't even reinstall the superlock motor.
Steve, I have 4 inop actuators on a recent 99 D2 Acquisition,.....any chance you could give us a bit of direction on this,.....where are the two motors located and what was involved in switching the brushes??

Brian in Cedar Park (Austin)

Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

If you reread thread and his older one on same subject...the superlock motor was was used in normal position. No brush change, motor swap.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Winching

If you reread thread and his older one on same subject...the superlock motor was was used in normal position. No brush change, motor swap.
Ive read both. He swapped the brushes,......however, that said,.......reading closer, sounds like he swapped the end cap of the motors that contain the brushes,.....

Brian

Old 06-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Winching

I didn't find a thread that BackInA88 started on door lock actuators. Looked for about 20 minutes,.....can you point me to it please,

Old 06-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It's been years since I did it.
You can't just swap the motors the worm gears that drive the mechanism are different sizes.
I seem to remember just breaking all the tabs on the white plastic cover as they are going to break anyway anyway, to get to the screws to take the actuator apart.
I think I ground the end of the center rivet off, I think you have to remove it to take the white cover off. I believe I replaced it with a flat head machine screw and jam nut and cut the screw flush with the jam nut and peened the end so it wouldn't come apart, test it before you do this?
You have to remove the motors and bend up the 2 little tabs carefully to remove the brush ends.
Than you need to hold the brushes back when putting them on the motor, I think I used pins out of my wife's sewing kit, there are little holes in the plastic end for this. Don't tell her. Than push the tabs back down and remove the pins.
I but a drop of machine oil on the bronze bearings.
Take out your cell phone and take pictures as you go so you can put it back together as I recall I had to remove some of the gears, levers and springs to remove the motors?
The motor has to be plugged in correctly to make contact with the connections in the housing.
And you have to file down a nub or file in a notch on the super lock plastic brush housing to fit it in the regular motor position?

I want to say the motor with the bigger worm gear was the super lock motor but I'm not sure?

Last edited by BackInA88; 06-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Mudding

Here's the old thread were I talked about this.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-build-71687/

I remembered while reading this that the center pin isn't a rivet it's a pin with a push clip on one end that breaks when trying to remove it.
Read the link for the Mini Cooper actuator I think it's the same as ours.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Ive read both. He swapped the brushes,......

Brian
Thanks. Correct.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by BackInA88
Here's the old thread were I talked about this.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-build-71687/

I remembered while reading this that the center pin isn't a rivet it's a pin with a push clip on one end that breaks when trying to remove it.
Read the link for the Mini Cooper actuator I think it's the same as ours.
I'm generally pretty good with this sort of thing,...but I will say that I invested the better part of a day screwing with this,....and never could get it to a point where I had access to the electric motors. Gave up and put it all back in the truck,....still broken.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Mudding

Yeah it's a pain in the A$$!