Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Locks & Alarm Inop

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks & Alarm Inop

I have a strange problem with the door locks. I've done the searches & can't find a solution.
When I first bought the Disco, none of the door locks worked. I replaced the drivers lock / latch assembly with a used one. The driver door has been working properly, however, none of the other door locks worked.
Normaly, when I hit the lock button on the FOB the driver door would lock and that was it. Last night, when I hit the lock button on the remote, the horn honked. It has never done that before. This morning, when I hit the unlock button.....nothing....didn't unlock or turn the alarm off. I opened the passenger door and opened the driver door from the inside. As soon as I put the key in the ignition, and turned it, the alarm sounded.
I tried putting the key in the door lock, but, it didn't do anything. It feels like the cylinder isn't catching.
I'm going to get a new FOB battery today to see if that will help.....IDK, what do you guys think?....bad door latch assembly?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't buy a new FOB till you fix the actual problem. Is the read alarm light flashing on your instrument cluster, have you tried locking and unlocking the door 3 times in a row?
Usually when the horn honk, it is indicating you have a door or hood open

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM
4wd Low

Yes, the red led on the dash is flashing. When I was hitting the buttons on the FOB, it wasn't doing anything. Usually, it at least makes a clicking noise from the door locks.
I tried the key in the door, but it was acting like something was disconnected....just freely turned left and right without turning anything in the handle.
I'm going to replace the battery in the FOB & see if that helps. Then, I'll try the lock/unlock 3 or 5 times and keep you posted.
Thanks

Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Here again, reset the alarm system to rule it out before spending money.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM
4wd Low

Okay, I think I have it fingered out.
I had an extra FOB battery at the office, so I went ahead and replaced that for good measure.
When I got home, I did the unlock / lock thing several times with no results. It wasn't acknowledging it at all. When I opened the driver door, the alarm sounded and wouldn't stop. I disconnected the battery for about 30 seconds, reconnected it, did the lock / unlock thing again. This time, the door unlocked and the light on the dash was blinking fast. I put the key in the ignition, turned it, and voila....it is back to normal....normal being half of the electronics in the truck working.
I checked the gate door....seems the kid didn't close it all the way last night & that was the problem.
Thanks for your help guys.