Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Bumper Recommendations?

This might be one of the harder decisions I've needed to make on my 04 Disco 2 project. I can't decide. I would like support for a winch and I'm drawn to bumpers with integrated lights, and I'll likely add additional lights. I don't want anything super bulky. This one seems to stand out at the moment but would love to hear thoughts on other options and why. I would need to paint this one.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

ARB has great products especially with heavy duty bumpers. I am sure that you need to upgrade your suspension before replacing after market bumpers. They are heavy.
My choice of bumpers are ARB, TMJ and I think atlantic british has one that comes with winch installed for much less.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
ARB has great products especially with heavy duty bumpers. I am sure that you need to upgrade your suspension before replacing after market bumpers. They are heavy.
My choice of bumpers are ARB, TMJ and I think atlantic british has one that comes with winch installed for much less.
Great! The project includes a 2 inch HD suspension upgrade so covered there. I'll go take a look at the TMJ and AB options. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I've had the other ARB bumper for about two years and it has been a great bumper. It does stick out farther than others and is heavy. My stock bumper was cracked for years and it just got worse. I live in an area where deer on the road are a factor. I switched to MD Springs to use it and, since adding a winch, really need HD springs.

However. It has some good points. It is very sturdy. You can stand on it. You can put lights all over it. On black Friday a Honda civic pulled out of a line of traffic and directly into my bumper (low speed, in parking lot). His radiator bled out. My bumper wasn't even scratched. It is a BEAST.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I've had the other ARB bumper for about two years and it has been a great bumper. It does stick out farther than others and is heavy. My stock bumper was cracked for years and it just got worse. I live in an area where deer on the road are a factor. I switched to MD Springs to use it and, since adding a winch, really need HD springs.

However. It has some good points. It is very sturdy. You can stand on it. You can put lights all over it. On black Friday a Honda civic pulled out of a line of traffic and directly into my bumper (low speed, in parking lot). His radiator bled out. My bumper wasn't even scratched. It is a BEAST.

Thanks, Charlie. I remember seeing your bumper when I picked up the spare dash you had. It's a great looking bumper and there's no arguing the it's utility. That's why I think I started with ARB. It's the only one I have found that (assuming good bumpers will withstand abuse) was aesthetically appealing as well. I will always choose utility over looks, but....if I can get both :-)

Thanks again for your input!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Charlie,
is that the 03/04 bumper on an a 00-02 model so you could keep fog light? If so what mods did u have to do

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Charlie,
is that the 03/04 bumper on an a 00-02 model so you could keep fog light? If so what mods did u have to do

Looked like Charlie used a later ARB model bumper and added the original fog lights. That looks nice. Did you add wheel spacers? Nice!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

That's what I was thinking. It looks like the 03/03 bumper and just added the fog lights to em. I was thinking about that for my 2000 disco to keep factory fog lights.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jfintexas
Great! The project includes a 2 inch HD suspension upgrade so covered there. I'll go take a look at the TMJ and AB options. Thanks for the reply!
I have the same ARB as Charlie sans integrated fog lights. Can't say enough good things about it, didn't hurt that I paid less than $400 for it. Guy was selling a discovery with a bad trains on Craigslist and I offered to take the bumper off his hands.

I would really recommend going with a 3" lift. It won't look like a monster truck and if your are going with HD coils anyway you won't sacrifice riding quality. I had a 2" on mine for a few years and as soon as I saw it installed I said to myself,"Damn, should have gone with the 3." Don't get me wrong it looked good with the 2" but the 3" RTE coils were priced the same. Installed the 3" and never looked back, it gives the truck a great stance you don't have to worry about driveline angles, brake lines etc. until you go over 3". And with the 3" with the style of bumper you are considering will allow many more tire options down the road.

Just my experience but when they are the 2" and 3" are the same money you have nothing to

http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page...category_id=52

Old 12-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

As long as you never plan on doing any off-roading, the ARB is fine.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Recommendations?