Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveline squeak -- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
No offense taken. I've read the second one.

I just got a new grease gun and greased the driveshaft front to back... it took a very little grease but it is coming out of every seal so I know it is greased. Got in the truck and it is squeaking before I got out of the driveway. Like at 1mph. I am stumped.
The only other thing I can think of is radius arm bushes squeaking but that's a remote possibility given the fact it increases with wheel speed but you could spray them with WD40 in a process of elimination.

I'll continue to rack my brains (that shouldn't take long given they are small ) and see what other possibilities come to mind. Do you have CDL?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The only other thing I can think of is radius arm bushes squeaking but that's a remote possibility given the fact it increases with wheel speed but you could spray them with WD40 in a process of elimination.

I'll continue to rack my brains (that shouldn't take long given they are small ) and see what other possibilities come to mind. Do you have CDL?
France, I appreciate your help.

I have CDL but without the linkage. It is a 2000. I guess without it locked I will have no drive without the front driveshaft because there would be no resistance. Is that right?

I checked the spacers. They are tight. I also spun the front tires and, if course, the driveshaft didn't spin and I heard nothing. The tires spin freely.

I noticed that at slow speeds (in driveway) there is no squeak when my foot in on the gas. Then immediate squeak when it isn't.

I guess the reason I am resisting the driveshaft option is that mine is relatively new and has grease fittings top to bottom. I keep it greased and used a ton of it today everywhere then sprayed lithium grease on the joints and it didn't even change the pitch of the squeak. It is a LOUD squeak; not subtle at all.

It is a little hot here.
Name:  IMG_20150809_173209.png
Views: 636
Size:  492.6 KB

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-09-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Remove the front drive shaft, lock the CDL manually and drive it to see if the noise is gone. If the noise is gone, you have found your problem, and get the shaft rebuilt.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Sage advice.

Engaged the CDL with the 10mm (<<< hard info to find so there it is, people) I removed my two year old driveshaft and drove. No squeak. I've never engaged my CDL before so that's good to know how to do.

So now to install my spare driveshaft and find a shop to fix mine.

As always, the forums are excellent. Thank you again.

I'm still going to order a multiple double cardan from Tom Woods... measuring the distance from face to face now.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-09-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by antichrist
early u-joint failure can't be detected by jerking on the propshaft with it installed. If you had play doing that, you'd more likely here clunking/banging when driving rather than squeaking.
Good call, AC.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I just got a new grease gun and greased the driveshaft front to back... it took a very little grease but it is coming out of every seal so I know it is greased.
I keep it greased and used a ton of it today everywhere then sprayed lithium grease on the joints and it didn't even change the pitch of the squeak. It is a LOUD squeak; not subtle at all.
The two above highlighted parts seem to be contradicting each other.
If you stop when see grease start to ooze out, that's not enough. You want to keep pumping until you see new grease coming from all 4 seals.

I'm still going to order a multiple double cardan from Tom Woods... measuring the distance from face to face now.
How high it your lift? Double DC shafts (a DC on each end) are rarely needed on a a Disco.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I "BELIEVE" his shaft blew, its in a newer post

Old 08-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by antichrist
The two above highlighted parts seem to be contradicting each other.
If you stop when see grease start to ooze out, that's not enough. You want to keep pumping until you see new grease coming from all 4 seals.

How high it your lift? Double DC shafts (a DC on each end) are rarely needed on a a Disco.
I pump it until grease comes out but, until yesterday, I was using the same color grease. Yesterday I used red. I used a lot before the red came out. I assume I haven't pushed enough grease in before. So for the price of ignorance and some lowly grease, I screwed my driveshaft.

Lift is 3 inch springs plus 1 inch puck, settled back to about 3 inches (ARB bumper and winch, and very heavy spare tire).

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-10-2015 at 11:55 AM.