Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver comfort

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:14 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have to say that at 5'6" and 170lbs the D2 driving position for me is very comfortable. As a passenger, my wife, who is 5'5" and 115lbs says the D2 is comfortable, with leather seats even more so

The Pajero is also comfortable for a 20 year old truck but the ultimate comfort is the RRS which is built for the 'soft roaders'. It is the pinnacle of comfort for long journeys on autoroutes using cruise control, satnav and dreaming, in fact it dangerous as very little driver input is required.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All - thanks for input.

Binvanna - yes, there is a throttle body spring and a spring at the pedal.

Alex_M - good tip about wrapping the pedal spring again. And, yes I do try to use the middle plastic cover to help, thanks.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:55 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
with leather seats even more so
I do think leather would help over my vinyl ... our Sienna has plush cloth and I seem to sink in and "stick" to them better than the Disco vinyl.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Blasphemy.... You all sound like a bunch of little girls. "my disco hurts me" "I can't get comfortable" "are we there yet?" (I mean that in good fun..not meant to start a fight, so relax)

I'm 6'1 and I've always loved driving a disco. In most other cars, I get "***-fatigue" after a couple hours of drive time, but not in a disco. Too bad I don't drive in on long trips because of it's wonderful mpg.

Are your sure your seat cushion is getting worn out? We're all over a decade old and with the number of miles most have, it would stand to reason that your seat doesn't sit like it used to. (not to mention we're all at least 10 years older now too). Just a thought. The springs and foam don't last forever. I noticed a pretty big difference between a couple I drove with over 100k on them vs the one I bought with 56k.

And whoever said it....don't ever drive with you wallet in your back pocket, it's horrible for your back and hips.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:57 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by stb616
Are your sure your seat cushion is getting worn out?

And whoever said it....don't ever drive with you wallet in your back pocket, it's horrible for your back and hips.
I've thought about the seat cushions and I asked previous owner (father-in-law) if he ever had any comfort/leg problems ... the only thing he mentioned was the wallet issue. I don't carry a wallet.

The more I research this problem, the more I am convinced it's the pedal tension, as many other car forums have had similar posts. And, I think those of you who have complained about not having enough leg room in the Disco may be experiencing this problem and the resulting want/need to stretch your legs due to the discomfort of holding your leg/foot back off the pedal. As mentioned, I am 5'8" and the only relief I get is to move the seat all the way back, so I couldn't imagine being taller.

Here is one example of a similar problem/fix from another car forum:

DIY gas pedal return spring - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

I believe this Honda Fit has a different throttle/pedal assembly, but the problem/theory is the same.

I plan to fiddle with this over the weekend, so if any of you care to look at your pedal spring, I'm curious to know how many times it is wrapped around the pin, mine is wrapped about 5 times (and a little rusted, so maybe weaker?), but there is plenty of room for more twisting, so I will attempt that per Alex_M's suggestion previously.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dusty1
yes. extended and relocated
How did you acheve this? Is it as simple as removing the seat and drilling be holes and bolting it back up? I'm 6'6" and squeeze in. I haven't taken the seat out but I'm considering it.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

On reading through there are some comments I agree with. No disrespect, but I never will buy a used vehicle from a lard *** driver because the seat cushions are collapsed and wrecked quite often ................ unless it's selling cheap, cheap, cheap and I mean cheap. On long journeys I'll remove my wallet from my back jeans pocket because it makes my back and hip ache.

The one problem I've been meaning to rectify for past 11 years is the left foot rest, as a SA it's too far away and my left foot dangles with no support by a couple of inches, OK on short jouneys for an hour or two but for 4-8 hours it's a real pain ............ note to myself, I must fix that!!! I'm amazed the footrest isn't height adjustable!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleK
Here is one example of a similar problem/fix from another car forum:

DIY gas pedal return spring - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums
Interesting. It makes more sense what you're talking about after reading that one and that having some resistance may help. Check your cables under the hood. Mine had a TON of slack which made some slop before the pedal engaged. I posted the specs from the rave manual about how tight the cables should be in a thread here somewhere. That won't take care of all of what you're going for but it might help if you have any slack.

I had a car that I kept a hand towel in. I could fold it between my leg and seat on a long trip. It took the pressure off my leg and the odd angle I had to sit at. Strange I can't remember what car that was, but I'm guessing it was one that I didn't own long....might have been my wife's Hyundai.