Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Driver's electric seat will not move - dead (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/drivers-electric-seat-will-not-move-dead-50591/)

jfall 06-20-2012 03:17 PM

Driver's electric seat will not move - dead

All,
Greetings.
Tried to adjust the driver's seat when the Discovery II was in drive and moving.
Could not.

Reached over and Passenger's seat adjusts.

Tried then turning off the key - no driver's seat adjustment.

Tried turning on the Key and at ready to start position - but not started yet -
still no luck adjusting the driver's seat.

I was able to adjust it way down to take a nap in a few days ago.
And, adjusted it back up.

Vexed indeed.
Any help much appreciated.

dgi 07 06-20-2012 03:26 PM

Fuse, switch, wiring, motor.
Pick one.
Does it adjust at all? Backwards, fowards, backrest, lumbar support?

jfall 06-20-2012 03:28 PM

Nothing works at all.
All dead.
Worked find last week.

bballjames 06-20-2012 04:09 PM

I would check each part listed by dgi 07 in the order he gave. This should help you narrow your problem down. Not much help can be given without knowing anything except 'it's dead'

jfall 06-24-2012 01:33 PM

Found there is a 40 amp fuse under the seat that is open/blown.

How often do these fail?

Maybe I leaned on the seat control and the fuse blew?

Bkreutz 06-24-2012 02:19 PM

Fuses can fail with age, when I find a blown fuse I just replace it and see if it blows again. (I know that sounds condescending but it's not meant to be:o). If it immediately blows then I start tracing for a dead short (starting by unplugging the motor). If it doesn't then it can get frustrating because you don't know if it was an old fuse or an intermittent problem (I hate those:mad:). One thing I have for diagnostic tools is I have a set of circuit breakers in various amperage ratings that replace the ATO type fuses, if there's a problem, they trip and then reset a few seconds later making it easier to find a short without having to replace fuses a bunch of times. NAPA is where I got them but I would assume any real auto parts store would carry them. I will have to admit that I have used these circuit breakers on real intermittent electrical problems (the kind that the fuse only blows every other Thursday on an even numbered month type of problem) that way the circuit is still protected and I've given up trying to find the short.

dgi 07 06-24-2012 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bkreutz (Post 327597)
Fuses can fail with age, when I find a blown fuse I just replace it and see if it blows again. (I know that sounds condescending but it's not meant to be:o). If it immediately blows then I start tracing for a dead short (starting by unplugging the motor). If it doesn't then it can get frustrating because you don't know if it was an old fuse or an intermittent problem (I hate those:mad:). One thing I have for diagnostic tools is I have a set of circuit breakers in various amperage ratings that replace the ATO type fuses, if there's a problem, they trip and then reset a few seconds later making it easier to find a short without having to replace fuses a bunch of times. NAPA is where I got them but I would assume any real auto parts store would carry them. I will have to admit that I have used these circuit breakers on real intermittent electrical problems (the kind that the fuse only blows every other Thursday on an even numbered month type of problem) that way the circuit is still protected and I've given up trying to find the short.

Wow. Good to see good advice still being given on here. Always remember, a short to ground before the load (motor, lights, etc) will always blow the fuse!

siimom 04-22-2013 08:01 AM

Ok, guys, I have a simular problem, but only with the up/down portion. My son borrowed our LR3 while his truck was in the shop. He adjusted seat way down, then his wife adjusted it way up. then it just stopped moving. He returned it. Next morning I got in and lowered seat abt half way as usual. Now it wil not move at all again. It has not made any od noises, or seemed at all different. any ideas. Thanks.

tooltech 04-22-2013 08:14 AM

Yes, it's an intermittent electrical problem. While standing outside of the truck, lean in and make all adjustments possible. All lowered. All in aft position. All in up position, then forward. It will start moving again, eventually. Just keep trying different adjustments. At least that's what happens in my DI after my daughter drives it. She's a short little thing..

goodnewsma 07-07-2013 09:17 PM

Hi Guys,
The problem I have is that the drivers seat doesn't move forward, it is able to move up and down and recline. When I move the switch forward I can't hear anything but if I moved the switch back I can hear a sound but the seat is already all the way to the back. I removed the switch, but I don't have the diagram to test the seat bypassing the switch. I need help! Any idea what ports do I need to use to bypass the switch without blowing any fuses? Your help will be greatly appreciated here are some pics of the switch:
Back Of The Switch' Panel Photo by goodnewsma | Photobucket
Thanks