Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Driving without front drive shaft? '03 D2 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/driving-without-front-drive-shaft-03-d2-28307/)

rj95lss 01-18-2010 07:47 PM

Driving without front drive shaft? '03 D2

I am pulling my TW front shaft off now and I want to maybe take it around the block with it off, can I do this with an '03 with the stock '03 t-case? If so whats the procedure/ low or high/ speed / Etc?

I just want to make sure that the shaft was the culprit of my issue/noise and/or rule it out or start looking for a new t-case.

Thanks Guys-

Urban Panzer 01-18-2010 08:22 PM

If you have not got a CDL (difflock) in your transfer case (unsure on your Year / spec), you simply cannot test it in 2wd as the front output housing will simply spin and you will go no where.

Do you have "Difflock" embosed on your transfer lever ?

"if" you do have a CDL, lock it in, and then yes go for a spin (gently) in 2wd no probs.

Scott R 01-18-2010 09:04 PM

I've ran for a week at highway speeds with my front prop shaft out. It makes no difference, in fact you can run with just the front if you like.

rj95lss 01-18-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scott R (Post 158607)
I've ran for a week at highway speeds with my front prop shaft out. It makes no difference, in fact you can run with just the front if you like.

In an '03 with a NON-cdl??? Mine is a stock '03, I have NOT put a CDL in it yet....

So can I do this or not? I am confused now...

THANKS Guys-

Willie00d2 01-18-2010 09:45 PM

If the CDL is not locked it will not send power to the back wheels. I have tried it with my 2000 Discovery. I have driven a few days with the CDL locked.

Willie

rj95lss 01-18-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Willie00d2 (Post 158611)
If the CDL is not locked it will not send power to the back wheels. I have tried it with my 2000 Discovery. I have driven a few days with the CDL locked.

Willie

So I can't drive my stock US version '03 without a front drive shaft... Thanks-

There is an '04 with 34,000 miles on it at the junk yard a mutual friend of mine works at and he is going to let me pull the t-case/shifter/linkage off it for $200 or less. Once the snow melts and I have more time its mine....

okdiscoguy 01-19-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Scott R (Post 158607)

Total BS. You will kill your rear diff if you don't shred the rotoflex first..just because you did something for a week doesn't mean it is ok...

smoverstreet 01-19-2010 01:17 PM

For what it's worth (if anything), when I bought my 01 D2 w/o CDL it did not have the front propshaft on. I drove it 5.5 hrs home. I was driving it occasionally (20 mi. every 2 weeks or so) while searching for a new t-case due to a bent front output shaft on my existing t-case. Drove it like grandma, but it never missed a beat. Just do what you need to do, man. :cool:

rj95lss 01-19-2010 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by smoverstreet (Post 158693)
For what it's worth (if anything), when I bought my 01 D2 w/o CDL it did not have the front propshaft on. I drove it 5.5 hrs home. I was driving it occasionally (20 mi. every 2 weeks or so) while searching for a new t-case due to a bent front output shaft on my existing t-case. Drove it like grandma, but it never missed a beat. Just do what you need to do, man. :cool:

LOL - I just don't get it - some people say you can and some say you can't. I guess I should have just tried it last night while I had the shaft off. Ohh well.

Thanks guys-

okdiscoguy 01-19-2010 01:40 PM

just to clear this up, all D1's have the case and linkage that can lock. 99 to mid 01 the same case was used, but no linkage. You can buy the linkage and hook up the existing mechanism, or get under your truck and lock it manually. They did not come back with this feature until 2004, so the late 2001 to 2003 you can not lock unless you re-build the case and add the mechanism. You can not lock a 2003.

It is never a good idea to run long distances with either shaft removed. The differentials are smaller and will not hold up to the stress put on them.