Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   dust boots...stupid question (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/dust-boots-stupid-question-69493/)

stb616 09-30-2014 06:50 PM

dust boots...stupid question

ALL of the dust boots on front end of my disco are shot. Is there anything that can be done to prolong these parts short of replacing them? It kills me my perfectly good parts are going to get eaten by our road salt.

Alex_M 09-30-2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by stb616 (Post 483828)
ALL of the dust boots on front end of my disco are shot. Is there anything that can be done to prolong these parts short of replacing them? It kills me my perfectly good parts are going to get eaten by our road salt.

They do more than keep dust and grim out, they also keep grease in. You can replace the boots (I did on my tie rod), but for things like the ball joints you might as well replace them while you're there. If your boots are gone then your joints likely aren't far behind.

stb616 10-01-2014 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_M (Post 483829)
They do more than keep dust and grim out, they also keep grease in. You can replace the boots (I did on my tie rod), but for things like the ball joints you might as well replace them while you're there. If your boots are gone then your joints likely aren't far behind.

I know they're going to go out sooner rather than later with the boots being shot....I was hoping someone had a brilliant idea to prolong that :cool: even though I know the answer.

Where did you get the boots for the tie rods?

Alex_M 10-01-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by stb616 (Post 483989)
I know they're going to go out sooner rather than later with the boots being shot....I was hoping someone had a brilliant idea to prolong that :cool: even though I know the answer.

Where did you get the boots for the tie rods?

Dorman Tie Rod End Boot New 13561 | eBay

These are the ones I used. Getting the retainer rings back on takes a bit of work. I couldn't do it myself and I had to have my mechanic do it. He had some special tool so he could get it easier than I could. If I were you then I would make sure that the joints are still tight before spending the money to replace the boots. Pack them with extra grease while you're in there too. I used the same grease that I use for my driveshaft.

TRIARII 10-01-2014 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_M (Post 484042)
Dorman Tie Rod End Boot New 13561 | eBay

These are the ones I used. Getting the retainer rings back on takes a bit of work. I couldn't do it myself and I had to have my mechanic do it. He had some special tool so he could get it easier than I could. If I were you then I would make sure that the joints are still tight before spending the money to replace the boots. Pack them with extra grease while you're in there too. I used the same grease that I use for my driveshaft.

Alex_M 10-01-2014 10:19 PM

Not the joints I was working on (tie rod ends), but a neat tutorial none the less. Thanks for the link!