Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   e-brake drum fell off! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/e-brake-drum-fell-off-16392/)

scubaman 10-10-2008 11:59 PM

e-brake drum fell off!

I did a search on the topic but couldn't find any information...

2000 DII. Couple days ago I took the rear shaft off to replace the roto-flex and the u-joint. Locked the CDL and drove the truck for a few miles. After I got back home I crawled under the truck and found that the e-brake drum almost fell off.

I have been trying to push the drum back but the muffler is on the way. I loosen the brake adjustment bolt but the brake pads are still blocking the drum.

Do I need to take the muffler off to put the drum back? The bolts on the muffler are so badly rusted that I am not even sure if they will come off. Is there a simpler way to put the drum back?

I checked the Rave CD and I am not sure if the screw that is supposed to hold the drum was there when I removed the rear drive shaft. Anybody knows the size of the screw?

[IMG]local://upfiles/10497/604D1F84DCA7475C88D25E6CD4DEAF21.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10497/E829D27452754866AC24AA72360458B8.jpg[/IMG]

Landzu 10-11-2008 07:36 AM

RE: e-brake drum fell off!

Two bolts hold the exhaust in place just in front of the muffler
use penetrating oil on the bolts first.

Disco Mike 10-11-2008 10:42 AM

Thats a first. You will need to get the exhast pipe out of the way so do as mentioned and spray the bolts real well.

scubaman 10-11-2008 02:33 PM

Thanks guys,

Can you take a look at the photos? It seems like the bolts and nuts are ready to disintegrate... and there were lots of rust fell off from the joint when I touched it. Is there a seal between the joint?

When I take the bolts off (that is, IF they come off...), do I need to replace the seal between the joint? Where can I get the seal? I am sure I also need to get replacement bolts and nuts. What kinds of bolts and nuts should I use?

The second photo is the joint at the rear of the muffler. Do I need to do something about that? That joint looks terrible....

[IMG]local://upfiles/10497/50A45EC657C44A4D8EE3FAAA2DD3502E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10497/25ED3BEC28F24FB69596D583AE9FAEC9.jpg[/IMG]

Willie 00D2 10-11-2008 03:03 PM

I checked Rovers North, I could only see one gasket used after the muffler. I did not see one before the muffler. Also check the local dealer if your in a hurry. Looks like you will need to cut those bolts off. Torch or a abrasive cut off wheel on a grinder will work good. Use all the safety gear. And use some anti-seize on the new bolts. Is the brake drum jammed in there at a angle like that?

Rovers North exhaust parts http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-3...-mufflers.aspx
Gasket after muffler http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3...st-flange.aspx

Willie

Landzu 10-11-2008 03:12 PM

Yes thats bad ,,, no seal on the fitting on my 96 its a press fit it has a rounded
end that fits in a cup like fitting.
Now the rust that bad Ok I said it again ,, on the OEM Y-pipe the bolts are
part of the pipe and would be a pain to drill out and replace but it can be done,,
the bolts should be high test a hardward store can help there.
I would after looking at that mess would get some help to move the pipe and
see if you can get it on with out taking the exhaust apart,, it came off it has to
go back on with out taking off the muffler not that it will be easy,,,,,,good luck

scubaman 10-11-2008 03:41 PM

Hi Willie,

Thanks for the pointer to Rover North. The drum is not jammed, I can move the drum around. But because of the angle caused by the muffler, the brake pads are on the way.

I will try to remove the bolts on the joint first.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10497/F21F055B584243CB9AF428E4C9EAB8B0.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: On second thought, how difficult is it to remove the brake pads? If I can remove the brake pads, take the drum off, put the brake pads back, then I think I can reinstall the drum without moving the muffler.

Second question: Do I need that screw that is supposed to hold the drum? Again I can't recall whether it was there when I removed the drive shaft. I can't imagine the screw just loosen itself within a few miles of driving. Or I will be fine without that screw when I put the drive shaft back?

scubaman 10-11-2008 06:52 PM

OK I checked the Rave CD and was able to took the pad off, now all is good :D no need to move the muffler.

Still wondering if I need that retaining screw for the drum or not...

Willie 00D2 10-11-2008 10:29 PM

Did you get the drum back on? I would use the retaining screw.

Willie

scubaman 10-12-2008 12:09 AM

Hi Willie,

Yes I got the drum back on.

Do you knows the size of the retaining screw or where I can get replacement besides the dealer?