Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay hubs leaking. Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default eBay hubs leaking. Alternatives?

Oem hub was leaking. Decided to go with an eBay replacment, thought I was having trouble getting the o-ring to seal, but it's def the hub itself.

These things have been all over the board in price for years but I was under the impression that there were really only two gigs in town, oem and Chinese. Is there a middle of the road unit that will hold up (and not leak) and isn't $300-400

Old 12-06-2018, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...t-hub-assembly

Probably Brit part but they will stand behind the product at least

Old 12-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Vent tube is probably plugged. Just remove tube from axle housing and blow it out with compressed air. There's only grease in the wheel bearing, not really a part that leaks.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Vent tube is probably plugged. Just remove tube from axle housing and blow it out with compressed air. There's only grease in the wheel bearing, not really a part that leaks.

Brian.
Vent is clear, and it's definitely the bearing seal. Diff fluid is coming in one side and out the other. Blatant trail of oil from behind the flange, down the hub case, and a drip formed at the bottom of the axle-hub joint.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds more like an axle seal

part # FTC3452

Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
Sounds more like an axle seal

part # FTC3452
Lol, guys, it's not the o-ring. Its the bearing seal. Diff fluid is getting through the bearing, and coming out the other side. That's what's happening. I've checked, and attempted to seal, three times now. All three times, it was quite evident where the fluid was dripping from. But I'm a dumbass and didnt want to admit I wasted money and hours on a pos chinese part.

So please just impart your hub buying experience upon me so that I may go and throw some money at it.

Last edited by KingKoopa; 12-06-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

That's a weird one, for sure. Bought my hub(s) off Rock Auto, not sure what brand, but it worked fine (so far, but the day ain't over yet...lol). Spent about a buck fifty on them.

Brian.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Lol, guys, it's not the o-ring. Its the bearing seal. Diff fluid is getting through the bearing, and coming out the other side. That's what's happening. I've checked, and attempted to seal, three times now. All three times, it was quite evident where the fluid was dripping from. But I'm a dumbass and didnt want to admit I wasted money and hours on a pos chinese part.

So please just impart your hub buying experience upon me so that I may go and throw some money at it.
The Diff fluid shouldn't get to the bearing if memory serves. The only fluid in the Hub is the grease inside the seal, unless I am totally missing something. The Axle seal should be the end point for the Diff lube.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
That's a weird one, for sure. Bought my hub(s) off Rock Auto, not sure what brand, but it worked fine (so far, but the day ain't over yet...lol). Spent about a buck fifty on them.

Brian.
I believe this one was only $50-60, so possibly a significant quality disparity.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CollieRover
The Diff fluid shouldn't get to the bearing if memory serves. The only fluid in the Hub is the grease inside the seal, unless I am totally missing something. The Axle seal should be the end point for the Diff lube.
You're right, it shouldn't, hence my deduction that my cheap pos hub is indeed a cheap pos, because fluid is in fact entering it from the axle tube, and exiting it just behind the drive flange, where the bearing is.

Quick Reply: eBay hubs leaking. Alternatives?