Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Mystery????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electrical Mystery????

So I did a quick search, but I didn't find anything on first glance to answer my questions about the electrical issue I had this morning.

Preliminaries : '02 DII, 118K, battery is less than 2 months old...

My fiance' got out to the Disco this morning, unlocked the doors with the fob, then everything went dead. She came and got me, and I gave everything a quick once over and things looked fine. A tiny amount of corrosion on the battery but nothing abnormal. Cables looked fine, all attachments were snug. I cleaned the corrosion off and sprayed some electrical lubricant, messed around for a minute, "jiggled the wires" (highly technical term), and got the interior lights to come on and got a "click" when the key was turned, but nothing else. Then it went completely dead again. I played around with the cables a little more, got another, gave it a few more tries "click", then dead, then a "click." Just as we were walking away about to give up, I hopped in the ignition to give it one more try.....and WHAMMY! She started right up! I went back and "jiggled the wires" again to see if I could get it to shut off, but she kept running.

What the heck?!?!? Anyone have an issue like this before?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

Woman drivers...

Old 07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Bundu
Woman drivers...
My first instinct

Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Winching

What about the ground connection on the frame? I know some others on here have had sporadic start issues, pulled that off, sanded the frame, and cleaned up the ground and cleared up the problems. Just a thought.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by discomedic4
What about the ground connection on the frame? I know some others on here have had sporadic start issues, pulled that off, sanded the frame, and cleaned up the ground and cleared up the problems. Just a thought.
That may be the ticket, I will give it a good look when I get home from work tonight. Thanks!

P.S. - Your grille is BADA$$!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
P.S. - Your grille is BADA$$!
Thanks! I also did a write up on it in the DI section with materials list. Let us know about the ground tonight.

P.S. I also added my LR emblem back on the grill after those pics were posted. No new pics with the emblem installed though. Looks even better with the badge on there.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default electrical problems also

my daughters 2000 Dii has some wierd electrical problem also. First replace battery, then had alternator rebuilt, had it checked also, but still if she does not drive it for two days its dead....cant figure out what it is...

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
TReK

That's the strangest part....I know mine isn't the battery/alternator it fired up once I hopped in the driver's seat and muttered the magic words...."come on baby"........Maybe give that a shot

I have a good feeling it's just a little corrosion at the ground attachment at the frame......Okham's Razor - "The simplest answer is always the right answer."

Brandon - I'll send an update with what I find tonight. Get some pics up with the emblem on there!

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 07-27-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 PM
TReK

So after taking a quick peek when I got home from work it appears that there is a little corrosion at the ground terminal, doesn't look like it would be enough to cause my no-start this morning, but oh well. I will take care of it tomorrow after I get home and give it a good sanding and add some di-electric grease....everything is functioning properly...for now