Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Question

Ok so I've been helping this girl out who is one of the employees under me at work. Her boyfriend keeps effing up her car (we will say its a disco 2 for the sake of posting it here, though it is actually a Geo Metro). He attempted to replace her transmission and totally messed it up, which I had to fix and install along with a new clutch. He attempted to change her transmission mounts later and messed them up sheering off 2 bolts in the transmission which I had to back out and replace for her. Now he has changed the leads to the battery, which he never grounded to the motor.

So here is the question... Her car (again we will say for the sake of posting here is a disco 2, though it is actually a Geo Metro) will not start now after it was run for about 20 min like this. I stopped by on my way home from work and found the main Neg lead hanging loose, though the smaller lead was grounded to the frame. I attempted to start the car but no luck. I shot some starter fluid in the carb to see if it was just not getting fuel and still no luck so I am assuming it is a spark issue. She said the one wire had been smoking when she had tried it prior to my arriving which ended up being the ground from the ignition coil. Could the lack of battery grounding have fried her ignition coil?

As I mentioned I was on my way home and only had basic hand tools in my Disco, I didn't even have a plug socket to visually check for spark. I am just trying to diagnose this as best I can before heading back over with proper tools to take a second look.

And I did all of this while driving my disco 2 thus justifying my posting it here...
and I trust everyone on this forum as everyone seems very knowledgeable.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

probably fried the ignition control module

Old 02-01-2011, 05:09 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security training | Information Security Training

hey thanks nitetrain thats intersting video
thanks for shairing i like video and it is very helpfull