Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Embarrassing moment at a gas station...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embarrassing moment at a gas station...

To any new disco owner- when filling up with gas for the first time be sure to turn the ignition off. If not the gas tank release button won't work.
Never had a vehicle with this safety check before.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That's ok, I once shut off my truck at a gas station in gear and couldn't figure out for like a good 2 or 3 minutes why the key wouldn't come out of the ignition. Then I noticed it was still in drive :P

Old 02-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Done similar to, pulled up to shop the other night, got out got some bits and bobs, got back into the car, put the keys in the ignition and went to start.........................nuffin!!! didly squat!!! WTF I thought, just incase it was the passive immobiliser, I locked and unlocked the car a few times, still dead...................mmm, look down car still in "D" doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a D1 so I don't have to worry about the fuel door release but I do have to take the key with me. Needless to say, I've pulled up to the pump and walked around the truck only to have to walk back and get the key. That wasn't nearly as bad as pulling into a busy gas station and pulling up to the pump on the driver side. Get out and walk back to realize I now have to turn the truck around with at least a dozen people watching.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Mudding

This is probably an easy feature to override. I have been thinking about it, as I sometimes leave the truck running when I fuel (if it is very cold out). I need to get out the meter and test a couple wires to what needs to be connected or disconnected or grounded to make it work.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Door

Yea, that passenger side fuel door is going to take some getting used to. I had an old Chevy Corsica (Or maybe it was the old Dodge Dynasty) that had it on the passenger side. Either way, I felt like a jackass when I pulled up on the wrong side.

I work in a gas station, and I was in the middle if ringing someone up when this lady driving a red BMW came in and started yelling at me about her pump not working. I told her to press the little yellow button for the grade. She stormed out. Her filler door is on the passenger side. She pulled a huge u-turn, and pulled up with a pump to her driver side. I watched her get out, slide her credit card, lift the nozzle, and turn around to nothing more than a solid quarter panel. I about died.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you were going to say you drove away with the hose still attached lol..that fuel door tricked me the first gas stop too. I think it's a good feature #1 you should have engine off while at gas pump #2 I sometimes hit the fuel door release by accident while going down the road when I reach for my drink in the cup holder.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I will use my wifes key in the fuel door so we can get gas with the engine still running.
I do this when it is really cold out or we are on a long trip and the engine is really hot.
DI's can be hard to start when hot, problem solved by leaving the engine running.
As a side note, 99% of the time the fuel gauge is on the same side as the fuel door, if it is different then they put a arrow on the fuel gauge pointing to the side that the fuel door is on.
So if you rent a car, look at the fuel gauge before youi get out, which side is the fuel gauge on?

Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Been there, done that. Particularly the DRIVE issue. My first automatic transmission and a year and a half later and I still cannot remember to put it in PARK!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling

yep been there before.

Quick Reply: Embarrassing moment at a gas station...